Author Topic: MCEUSB2 not working when connected  (Read 2582 times)

internix

• View Profile
MCEUSB2 not working when connected
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:32:47 pm »
I used the 2 CD install method to get LMCE going. It all worked flawlessly. Then I decided to connect a MCEUSB2 infrared controller using the Microsoft remote. When I connected the controller some activity was going on to install the new software for it and I received a notification that MCEUSB2 now was installed. It didn't however.

Diving into the modules directory, the MCEUSB2 module wasn't installed in the correct version of the OS. With the Kubunto live CD kernel 2.6.15 is installed. During the installation of LMCE a newer version (2.6.16) is installed. The MCEUSB2 module is present in the modules directory of the 2.6.15 directory but is not present in the modules directory of the 2.6.15 directory. copying the MCEUSB2 module to the 2.6.15 directory fixed the problem in my case. After a reload I was able to use the remote to control my Mediacenter.

Cheers

Internix

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: MCEUSB2 not working when connected
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:04:19 pm »
Sounds to me like somebody failed to follow the instructions and did an upgrade anyway. 

The kernel version LMCE is supposed to be using is: "2.6.20-15-generic" as far as I know.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

internix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:31:38 pm »
No explicit update was done. The upgrade of the kernel was the side effect of installing the native NVidia driver as done by the LMCE install program

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:06:19 pm »
I had the same problem.  You need to do a few things to get it working

Code: [Select]
apt-get install lirc-pluto pluto-lirc-wrapper
depmod -ae
modprobe lirc_mceusb2

That should fix the problem.  If this does not let me know there are a few other things that you may have to do.

Thanks,
Rob

internix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:14:09 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. It is working for me now after copying the misc directory from the /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic directory to the /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic directory since it was missing from the latter. The other parts were installed already since they don't depend on the kernel version. After running depmod -ae in order to build a new dependency tree of the modules in the new kernel and running modprobe lirc_MCEUSB2  the MCEUSB2 module loaded and the machine responded to the remote.

Thanks for the help!