Author Topic: Help with specific setup  (Read 3573 times)

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Help with specific setup
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:54:12 am »
I am really excited to set up a linuxMCE configuration.  I want to be sure the setup I have is compatible.  The biggest question I have is this: I currently have a Windows XP system that I use as a media/ftp/web server.  I want to use this as a core linuxMCE system.  The system has a raid 5 array that is used to store all of my media.  The OS is on a separate HDD.  Can I install linuxMCE on the separate HDD and have it recognize the raid 5 array?  The array is in NTFS format. 

I already have a ton of media on the array and I don't want to have to start fresh.  What are my options?

Here are the specs on the system:

DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 500W Power Supply
OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
AMD AM2 +3800 CPU

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 12:56:06 am by hobbes487 »

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Help with specific setup
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:03:25 am »
There is the possibility that Linux can access your raid but I would not count on it. If you check the web under linux software raid you will learn more than you wanted to know.

djrobx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 08:14:03 am »
I have a similar situation going.  I left windows running my array.  LinuxMCE can use Windows file shares.

Linux can read NTFS but not write to it reliably.

If your "server" is the only machine that's up 24/7 you can run LinuxMCE core under vmware on the server so it can still perform LinuxMCE server functions.  Just don't count on doing multimedia video on the core under VMWare.

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »
I have a similar situation going.  I left windows running my array.  LinuxMCE can use Windows file shares.

Linux can read NTFS but not write to it reliably.

If your "server" is the only machine that's up 24/7 you can run LinuxMCE core under vmware on the server so it can still perform LinuxMCE server functions.  Just don't count on doing multimedia video on the core under VMWare.

Thanks, but that sounds a bit complicated.  I think I may just wait until I can build a dedicated Core and have it read the windows shares from the server.  One question though.  You said linux doesnt write to NTFS reliably, so would it not be a good idea to have it rip movies or record TV to the windows server?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:37:32 pm »
so long as you write to it over the network, it will be okay. he is talking about disks directly attached to the core.

-Thom