Author Topic: Hi everyone new here with a disy of a question  (Read 3701 times)

RyanOlson

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Hi everyone new here with a disy of a question
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:49:38 pm »
I would like to say hello to everyone and I think this is the coolest Distro ever and blows winblows Mce out of the water. Now for my question. I have directv and I really do not feel like dealing with Ir blasters and a set top box for video in I have been surfing around and want to know if any one else has a dvb and cam reader working together in north america for this so I have one box to rule them all for home entertainment.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone new here with a disy of a question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:11:01 am »
The US content providers are obsessive about their walled gardens and do many things to keep users out. As such you can capture SD content from the cable and sat boxes but nothing else now. The process has been tuned by the Myth guys and there is something of an automatic setup in LMCE for this. But it may not work the way you expect or work very well.

RyanOlson

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:14:34 am »
sorta thought that way especially since the last card hacks damn. I dont want to have the two box's sitting around how does the ir blaster work on these things. Well it dosent really matter since I would not be able to record more then one channel. But digital cable works fine with these things right.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:21:33 am »
Digital cable is hit or miss. You need to check what support your local cable provider offers. Some like mine have everything encrypted. Oters have lots available. I was told that the on demand stuff isn't encrypted and you may be able to see what someone else is accessing.

countzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:55:11 pm »
Youll have to do a bit of hunting but Direct TV via DVB card is possible with a legitimate access card/card reader/ and dvb-s card that supports DSS signaling (ie the Twinhan VP1020A).

This is sort of a grey area as Direct TV will not activate a card using this method however you can activate a standard receiver and use its card once activate to receive only the channels you are subscribing to.

Unfortunately there are several patches required for mythtv to read DSS streams and youll have to apply them manually to the source tree of mythtv (the same version that lmce uses) then compile and replace the binaries in your LMCE distro.

RyanOlson

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:00:05 pm »
Sweet I actually found an article last night that microsoft is working with direct tv on a new line of cards for directv and vista. I myself hate vista so far. One more question if I was able to get this to work and wanted to say record 3 streams while watching one in theory would I need 2 dvb cards with the dss cards to get it working.