Author Topic: core MB question  (Read 4606 times)

highsecurity

• View Profile
core MB question
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:09:22 am »
Hi every one

I’m in the process of get components to start building a system and I was wondering if any one has tried an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe or if anyone can tell me if there will be any problems in using this mother board.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: core MB question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:27:46 pm »
I have had success with an M2N-E which shares a lot of Silicon. No point in buying one over the recommended board but if you already have it its worth a try.

highsecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:24:28 am »
i was looking at this board due to the dual gigabit and 3 pci slots witch will fill my hardware needs, the spdif will also be good

i was planing on a amd 6000 proc with 2G ram and Nvidia 7050 vga card up to 3 tuners cards

i'm planning on building the core fairly hi spec as i want to roll it out thought my whole house

i was looking at using the hauppauge hvr 1300 as my tuners Has any one had any bad experences with these?

otherwise i was looking at the Nova T 500 cards but i dont think they have the hardware encoders

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appercated

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:30:08 am »
1) figure analog tuners will be landfill after 2009.
2) The core only uses 1 GB of ram. (I know- I have 2G and 1G isn't used. I'm going to pull it the next time I shut it down.)
3) The nVidia 7050 is new and may not be supported with the nvidia-glx driver. Check before you buy.
4) I would get some HDHomeRun tuners, they don't use resources on the core and work real well. And ATSC can have 4 streams on a single channel.
5) The external nic doesn't need to be anything special- your broadband connection rarely is even 10 Mbps. I use the single nic configuration myself.

highsecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:43:28 am »
the only problem is i believe that the HDHomeRun tuners are not available in australia

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »
I have just installed the M2N-deluxe and it works perfectly out of the box!

Haven't tried the s/pdif or coax out though, so not sure if they're supported by the alsa driver.

Anyway, it's a fully recommended board by me!!
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 05:11:23 pm »
Sorry:
I didn't realize you were in a different market. I know SiliconDust is working to get a version for Europe but Australia isn't on the immediate future.
In which case the bigger MB makes sense. However you shouldn't need much more than a 3800 or 4200 processor unless you will be using TVTime software HD Decoding. (Does work better but doesn't work with the overlay/blending.)

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 05:26:30 pm »
Also, I have a NOVA-T 500 tuner, it works perfectly well (follow the instructions here to install it : http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV_Nova-T_500_PCI)

Also, you are right, it doesn't have a hardware decoder, no dvb-t tuners have as they're not required!
dvb-t streams in mpeg-2 format, so it is already 'decoded' and can be burned straight to disc.
Analogue TV does need decoding as it is not in mpeg-2 format. That is why the HVR-1300 has on-board decoding (but I have read that the HVR-1300 decoder is not yet supported in linux anyway)

My advice: get a NOVA-T 500
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 05:57:08 pm »
Sorry:
I didn't realize you were in a different market. I know SiliconDust is working to get a version for Europe but Australia isn't on the immediate future.
In which case the bigger MB makes sense. However you shouldn't need much more than a 3800 or 4200 processor unless you will be using TVTime software HD Decoding. (Does work better but doesn't work with the overlay/blending.)

DVB-T for Europe is essentially the same as in Australia, so a board for Europe will almost certainly work just fine in Australia as well. I second 1audio's remarks on Analogue TV, don't waste your time! It gets turned off even earlier in Australia - 2008, so its a waste of time and money! If you just want to capture video sources (such as a VHS) then buy a video capture card, don't bother with the turner, same goes if you are trying to capture something like Foxtel.

highsecurity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 03:36:57 am »
ok so i'll go with the Nova T 500 for the tuners. So with that sorted, what cards would you use for video input i have and old VHS that i would like to keep and also like to connect the video from my security camera DVR and control it with IR