Author Topic: How to get the image (jacket) for a dvd  (Read 6846 times)

tzinternet

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
How to get the image (jacket) for a dvd
« on: September 10, 2007, 12:34:43 am »
Ok I have done a little looking around and am new to forum so please forgive me if this has already been answered.  I would like to know how in the video (demo video) the images from the dvd are done.  I have a bunch of DVD images in .iso format already that were done as backups and would like a way to have the jacket information displayed like in the demo video.  Can someone please enlighten me as to how this done and with what?

Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the image (jacket) for a dvd
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:05:21 am »
The simplest way, is to rename the .iso files to .dvd, and to place them into the appropriate media folders where LinuxMCE can see them.. i.e. /home/public/data/videos ....

once this is done, and updatemedia has crawled them (give it 10 minutes), you can then go to the Pluto Web Admin.. at http://192.168.80.1/pluto-admin/  and select Cover art from the Files And Media pull-down menu.

Hopefully this will get you closer.. You can adjust the keywords, and filters for each to make sure that the right cover art is given.. But the best tips are:

* Use a title that matches the disc you are trying to match. Use either spaces or underscores in the filename.. If you need to, make sure the keywords match, and that there aren't any extraneous words in the keyword field.
* Increase the # displayed on a page if you want to get them all done at once, enter something like 1000, it will take longer, but you'll be able to get them done in one pass.

Once you've entered in keywords, it will scan amazon.com for the data. Do keep in mind that this will take a fair amount of time. Be Patient, wait.. and the page will refresh with matching cover art.. Find the ones that are applicable... It may not find all of them, but that's okay, they will show up again in the cover art list, if you say "None of these" so that you can refine the keywords and try again.

--PLEASE READ-- --PLEASE READ-- --PLEASE READ-- --PLEASE READ--

I WOULD SUGGEST COPYING FURTHER MEDIA INSIDE LINUXMCE, THIS WILL ENSURE THAT ALL MATCHING METADATA WILL BE FOUND, AND YOU WILL GET ADDITIONAL METADATA SUCH AS CHAPTERS THAT WILL NOT BE FOUND ON A SCAN FOR COVER ART SEARCH.

--PLEASE READ-- --PLEASE READ-- --PLEASE READ-- --PLEASE READ--

I hope this helps.

FuZoRBlade

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:55:57 pm »
Ive tried this method with lots of DVDs that are pretty common (Oceans 13, SpiderMan 3, The Godfather) except the problem is: After I click scan for cover art, I wait for a long time, and eventually at the top of the page it says "Items Scanned", and then underneath it is says "No scanned items".

whats up with that? am I supposed to fill out the filters as well? I only changed the first name that is in the table.

edit: After trying to fill out the first column of the filter with the title of the movies, i still have had no luck. same problem.

EDIT2: NVM, i resolved it, it seems that my LMCE box was not connected to the internet for some reason. Now its working fine
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 06:31:05 pm by FuZoRBlade »

mortar

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:26:37 am »
Using the manual method, the quality and size of the images seem to be significantly worse.  Has anyone found this?

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:01:11 pm »
Using the manual method, the quality and size of the images seem to be significantly worse.  Has anyone found this?

Yes, I came here with the same question.  How can I get the cover art to look as good as the art being used by the system rips?  Can I do any sort of manual resizing.  This is even the case when I assign the same URL manaully to a different disk.

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:14:17 am »
So here is something that I have found to work.  It's a pain, but works fairly consistently for non-core storage (not sure why).  Go through the manual method to download the cover art.  Then delete the image and hit the update button.  The image will be repopulated with better quality.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:20:24 am by JimmyGosling »

super

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:34:36 pm »
How do  you get coverart and other info for movies you have on dvd? Is there a bulk way of specifying a list of movies on dvd (in a text file etc.) and get cover art. I have arranged my DVDs in alphabetical order, but want to have movie synopsis, plot, awards etc. from allmovie.com to be displayed in LMCE. This would be similar to collectorz.com (Movie Collector) software (www.collectorz.com) on Windows. Movie Collector searches amazon.com, IMDB, and DVDEmpire (high quality cover art), but it would be cool to get data from allmovie.com as well.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:28 pm »
cool! implement it. :)

-Thom

JimmyGosling

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:02:12 am »
That kind of feature has already been requested.  Currently there isn't any way other than manually going file by file in the web browser.

http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3378

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:54 am »

Yes, I came here with the same question.  How can I get the cover art to look as good as the art being used by the system rips?  Can I do any sort of manual resizing.  This is even the case when I assign the same URL manaully to a different disk.

I found a new way! I have not ripped much in LinuxMCE so I did not se the difference. But to day I saw this strange behavior on my movies. I noticed that all my media from before the reinstall had high quality coverart, while any new manually identified media had crappy pixelated coverarts...

After finding this thread I tried to find a better way for me, NO WAY I was going through every single one again ;)
For my movies I just created a new folder, and moved all of them in there. 2 seconds of work and all coverarts where updated (that part took a few minutes). I deleted the old folder and it disapeared from the webadmin media file sync.

DO NOT TRY THIS ON ANY VERSION BEFORE 0710Beta3!