Author Topic: A couple suggestions  (Read 5063 times)

ouellettesr

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
A couple suggestions
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:48:05 am »
Hello, I am a new user of LinuxMCE and I have a couple suggestions.

I would really like to see LinuxMCE not rely on mythTV for viewing Television.

If the Listings guide is to be a subscription service, please make it so the user can turn the guide function off in the settings. While I really like the guide listings, I will never pay for them.

Also, please make it so functions like security, climate, and lights can be turned off. Many users will not have these functions, therefore should not have to navigate through them.

Thanks

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: A couple suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:03:41 am »
Sounds to me like you want anything but LinuxMCE.  :-\
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:54:31 pm »
yeah....what exactly would you use it for then?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

ouellettesr

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:14:21 pm »
Thats not what I'm trying to say.

As for the mythTV portion, I just think its kind of cheap to be using that for tv viewing. I mean these guys build an awesome application like LinuxMCE, but cut it short when it comes to the tv viewing. As soon as you choose "Watch TV" it switches over to MythTV, looks like mythTV, pre-scales images just like mythTV. Why not just call it the "Ultimate mythTV plugin" Furthermore, and I know this probably can be fixed, on my first install of LinuxMCE when I goto watch the tv, mythTV tells me "MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you selected. If you want to watch an in-progress recording, select one from the playback menu. If you want to watch live TV, cancel one of the in-progress recordings from the delete menu. I remember having the same problem in MythTV and I fixed it somehow under myth settings, but those settings aren't available to me in LinuxMCE as far as I know.

If its never going to change, at least make it so the end user doesnt have any idea hes using myth tv. for example, give it its own default LinuxMCE skin, and make it so it doesn't have to pre-scale the images first, show the mythtv menu for a split second, and then to live tv, it should go directly from LinuxMCE to Live TV.

About everything else I think its just a matter of user preference, I myself wouldnt use the lighting, climate, security and guide listings options, but I know someone right now building their home rigged with networking cable throughout the house, he plans to have a computer in every room. He would love to have all of those options enabled. Basically what i'm saying is if I don't have the option to use them, I shouldn't have to scroll through them all the time.

Oh, and I tell you what I would use it for, A media center silly, think about it teedge77, an application that allows you to use your media, watch tv, AND IF I WANTED TO, use the security functions, utilize the climate control, and control my lights, all from the comfort of my living room couch. What an ingenious idea. ;)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 06:18:50 pm »
sorry...i didnt realize you were being forced to use lighting, climate control and security functions....man....that does suck....
as far as the rest i believe they are working on making more easily skinnable for users. mythtv is part of linuxmce...they say that outright...its not like they are trying to hide that it uses mythtv....tehy have it integrated into it. it also uses asterisk....should they make a whole new admin site for that so no one knows it uses asterisk? i get what youre saying, but if you arent going to use something...then dont use it...oh sorry....i forgot you were being forced to use it all...
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

ouellettesr

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 07:34:56 pm »
Wow, did I ever say I was being forced to use it? If you read what I was "basically" saying in my last post, you would have realized that I was just trying to say that flipping through a menu with a bunch of stuff that doesn't apply to my particular needs is kind of annoying. I don't think you get what i'm saying, if you did you would have realized that if the user was able to toggle those functions on or off, it wouldn't be quite as annoying. If you really had "got" what I was saying did you wouldn't be trying to make yourself look cool, all your really doing is making yourself look like a jackass. I'm just a user with a couple suggestions. Do you take it as an insult that I was trying to offer my suggestions? Isn't this the feature request & roadmap board? You know... now that I know that this is how the admin of LinuxMCE respond to issues like these I will just keep my comments to myself. I will not lose any sleep over it. All that was really needed in response to my post was, "Thank you for your suggestions."

Piss off and have a nice day.

Cheers ;D

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:54:05 pm »
like i said...from what ive taken the time to read, they are working ont he skinning stuff. Ha designer was not a great way to go. they are looking for an easier more user friendly way to do it.  i think once the skinning stuff comes about then if you dont use a button....take it off the skin...if you use it later...add it back on. ive seen paul talk about it on other forums. how he didnt like using HA designer because it was a lot to learn for a user. he wanted something easier for everyone. hopefully the skinning thing will give you what you want.

im not an admin...im just a user, like you....except i look stuff up too. this has been talked about in a few places. yes...i do get what you are saying...you want to turn it off if you dont use it. i am sure that will come about eventually too as there have been quite a few posts on it already. it can be annoying. anyway...thank you for your suggestions....not much i can do about it...maybe just agree with you and everyone else that has said it.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P