Author Topic: Some EIB things  (Read 9607 times)

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Some EIB things
« on: September 07, 2007, 08:19:41 pm »
hi,

i have a working lmce system with one core/hybrid and one media director. I've connected my EIB system to the core. After a lot of hard work i figured out how to connect it, but there are some more "troubles".

1.) I want to send the date/time every 10 minutes from the core to the EIB. I need this because my thermostats have a internal clock but these clocks don't work very well - so you need to send the time to synchronize all thermostats. My question is: in wich format should i send the date/time? I tried nearly everything - but nothing works...

2.) I can choose in my EIB-thermostats two (or more) states; like warm and cold. That is quit good, because you can change the temperature with only one button-press. But in lmce-thermostates i only can choose a temperature; like 20°. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the termostate-state with lmce?

3.) Is it possible that lmce listen to the bus and change the state's of the lights, drapes, thermostates? Because everytime i switch on the light by the switch lmce don't know this and show the wrong state.

Is anybody else using EIB with lmce?

Thanks in advance,

avajon

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Some EIB things
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 03:08:51 pm »
2.) I can choose in my EIB-thermostats two (or more) states; like warm and cold. That is quit good, because you can change the temperature with only one button-press. But in lmce-thermostates i only can choose a temperature; like 20°. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the termostate-state with lmce?

i solved it today. the solution is: you have to add a climate scenario and add a EIB_Write - Command. With this parameters: group-adress for the thermostat, 1 for warm - 2 for cold and as data type you have to choose 6.

ciao
avajon

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »
hmmm....i dont even know what an EIB is but did you add this stuff to the wiki?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:22:50 pm »
it stand's for European Installation Bus. it's for home automation.
i will add it if everything works fine.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 06:28:34 pm »
hmmm...thats interesting...i dont suppose you know of some sortof american counterpart to that do you?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:45:40 pm »
no, i don't know anyone. EIB is pretty cool, because it is a organisation and you have a lot of companies that produce components, like siemens, gira, berker and so on. So you can choose from a lot of products an nearly all work together...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:52:21 am »
the closest thing we have to a "standard" over here in the US is ZWave.. (I don't even consider X-10 to be an option).

-Thom

KingCrab

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:38:23 am »
Have a look at LCN or LON, both are bus oriented homeautomation systems. At least one of them is build in the US, I think. But it's not quarter as good as EIB  ;)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 01:53:34 pm »
the closest thing we have to a "standard" over here in the US is ZWave.. (I don't even consider X-10 to be an option).

-Thom

You may not consider X10 to be an option, but it is a standard and many manufacturers make products for it.  Works good with LMCE too in my experience.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

eloy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 03:48:30 pm »

I've been following the ZWave "hype" for several months now. Based on what I have read it sounds very promising but my personal opinion is that it is not ready for prime time - yes, lots of companies are making ZWave-compatible products but today I can't easily connect a Linux machine to a ZWave network. The existing interfaces (like Intermatic's) are not supported in Linux and the interfaces that used to work (Homepro's) are now obsolete without a replacement one can buy today.

Yes, I am itching to go ZWave but until I can buy a computer interface that works on Linux I have no other option than waiting.

Am I missing something with regards to the current state of affairs in the ZWave world?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 04:16:13 pm »
I snagged a ZCU000 from ocautomation.com two weeks ago.

-Thom

marv2097

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Reesmarine
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 10:10:38 pm »
EIB (and some other control protocols) is now merged into something called KNX see http://www.knx.org

It is designed to allow communication over, Twisted Pair, Poweline, RF and Ethernet. It claims its a royalty free protocol but there are hefty fees to become a member or to get a copy of the specification.

Support form LMCE would have to be done through 3rd party converters in a similar way to X-10 or Zwave is done now. Shame it isnt an open protocol and LMCE and other projects could support it fully naitevly.
Hybrid: Shuttle P4 3Ghz - 1GB DDR RAM - 750 GB PATA HD - Nvida 7300 GT AGP (UI2alpha) - 1 NIC

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 10:51:50 pm »
better not be a licensee then, because then you are not allowed to reverse engineer it...
Open protocol my backside...

Even Can-Bus and profibus is more "open"

auyongtc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 02:52:36 am »
avajon,

Could you list down the models of the EIB equipments you are using that is compatible so that it could help others if they wanna try out EIB for their home automation (like me :p) ?

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:56:39 am »
hi auyontc,

i've done a little wiki-page. there is a link to the bus-connector, this is the most important product.
For the other equipments i also used Berker stuff, but it should work with all other companys too.

lg
avajon