Author Topic: HELP! Need to add Comtrol Drivers  (Read 2817 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
HELP! Need to add Comtrol Drivers
« on: August 20, 2005, 05:04:22 am »
I have two RocketPorts on my server so that I can have a gazillion serial ports.  I need to add the drivers, but I'm not clear on how to do that.  There's no ftp from the server....

The latest drivers are located at:

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/comtrol/comtrol-1.21.tar.gz

How do I go about adding these drivers -- and is there any support for them in Pluto?  If not, how do I add support?

Comtrol RocketPort and similar boards are very common in automation setups.  I was surprised not to find anything about it in the forums.

Thanks!

Dantelope

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:23:37 pm »
Personally I'm not very familiar with how drivers are loaded in linux.  I know our system is a standard debian server, and the procedure for adding the serial port drivers within Pluto would be exactly the same as in any other debian system.  Normally frequently used hardware is automatically detected at the bootup process when the discovery utility runs and tries to determine what hardware you have.  My guess is this means the drivers are not included in the standard debian/Linux distribution.  Since you indicate this will be a fairly common device for smarthome systems, what we should probably do is compile the driver ourselves and manually added to our kickstart CD, even if it is not standard in debian.  The guy who works on the kickstart CD and knows everything about compiling and installing Linux drivers will be in the office on Monday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. GMT, which would be 2 a.m. to 10 p.m. in New York.  Are you going to be around at your computer during that time?  If so you can start a live chat on our web site, and we can transfer you to him.  If those hours are not convenient, you can also turn on the remote assistance feature in the Pluto admin web site (Wizard, security, outside access), and leave it running for him to look at when he gets in the office.  You would need to send me an e-mail with the password and installation you choose (my username @plutohome.com).  Then he can manually install the drivers for you, and see what is necessary to make them automatically recognize the card so they are automatically installed in the future.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 06:29:27 pm »
I'll be around at that time and would be more than happy to live chat with you guys.

If I allow him in to install the drivers himself, will he end up rebooting the system?  I ask because if Pluto gets rebooted, my entire phone system goes dead... so I need to be alerted well before this happens.

Thanks!

Dantelope

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 06:41:00 pm »
I'm not sure, but you guys can talk on the phone while he does it so he can tell you if he needs to reboot.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 02:30:18 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
The guy who works on the kickstart CD and knows everything about compiling and installing Linux drivers will be in the office on Monday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. GMT, which would be 2 a.m. to 10 p.m. in New York.

I got all excited tonight thinking I'd have that call... then I realized you made a typo and meant 2am to 10am, didn't you?  It's 8:30pm and Live Chat is offline :(

I opened up the machine ... who do I send the email to?

Dan