General > Users

Network config

(1/3) > >>

fillister:
Hello, I'm attempting to set up my core using a M2NPV-VM motherboard with 2 NIC's. I have the Cat5 running from the cable modem to the core NIC that I plugged into the PCI slot and a CAT5 leaving the motherboard NIC port going back to my BSFR linksys 4 port router switch. I've logged into my router and disabled DHCP, but I'm a little confused about what port to plug into on the router, does the CAT5 that leaves my MB NIC port go to the router WAN port or one of the other ports? Also are their other settings on this router that I must change so that my day to day home desktop ( which uses Ubuntu feisty fawn) can communicate withe the core?

Thanks for your help

Fillister

countzer0:
Plug it into your lan port.

teedge77:
what do you mean by "communicate withe (sic) the core"? what exactly is it you want to do? did you want to run a myth backend or something?

pixelator:
if your set up is using:

Internet >  (WANside) Core (LAN side ) > router > network
then you would plug your cat5 from the internal nic on the core to a lan port on the switch/router.

The WAN port on the switch/router is only used if you are connecting it directly to you WAN provider.
for example: Internet > (WANside) router (LAN side ) > core > network

fillister:
Teedge77

My thought was that once the core (backend) was set up as the DHCP server I could remove the monitor, keyboard and mouse and change settings via my desktop computer on the wired lan. But as I read the instructions again it looks like I can do these operations through the frontends (orbiters?)

To all: Thank you for the info, I'll move off the wan port and over the lan on the router

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version