Author Topic: dcerouter_1:~# .......help  (Read 3036 times)

Pumpkin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
dcerouter_1:~# .......help
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:00:23 pm »
I get this prompt on bootup on Kubuntu and Linuxmce. Can someone advide me on how to resolve? I am new to Linux and dont really know my way around as far as commands so the simpler the better...thank you.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: dcerouter_1:~# .......help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:27:47 pm »
I get this prompt on bootup on Kubuntu and Linuxmce. Can someone advide me on how to resolve? I am new to Linux and dont really know my way around as far as commands so the simpler the better...thank you.

You'll need to provide a lot more info than that I'm afraid.

Which version of LMCE did you install and from what media (CD's? DVD? DL DVD?)

What network card and video card are you using?

What type of monitor and what connection are you using?

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »
Pumpkin start with the Faq make sure your are using proper hardware

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

Then post your configuration and linuxmce version so we can help you.

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Pumpkin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:01 pm »
Thanks for replying guys. Unfortunately i dont know any of that info all i can tell you is that the machine is a Dell D620 Laptop,,,stock from the factory. I did learn that ver 8.10 of kubuntu wont work with linuxmce so i reinstalled ver 7.10 and it runs great until i install Linuxme. I downloaded the Linux from the main links and used the 2 cd method. everything went very well until i reboot after the linux install then it hangs at this prompt. I have reloaded these software packages a million times it seems like....its getting really frustrating...and even more frustrating for me since i dont know the linux language stuff. I know im really vague and i apoligize but i was hoping there was a quick fix. Any help is appreciated.

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:15 pm »
Thanks for replying guys. Unfortunately i dont know any of that info all i can tell you is that the machine is a Dell D620 Laptop,,,stock from the factory. I did learn that ver 8.10 of kubuntu wont work with linuxmce so i reinstalled ver 7.10 and it runs great until i install Linuxme. I downloaded the Linux from the main links and used the 2 cd method. everything went very well until i reboot after the linux install then it hangs at this prompt. I have reloaded these software packages a million times it seems like....its getting really frustrating...and even more frustrating for me since i dont know the linux language stuff. I know im really vague and i apoligize but i was hoping there was a quick fix. Any help is appreciated.

Well, your notebook isn't going to be much of a LMCE hybrid core I'm afraid. It could work as a Media Director but I have doubts it will run well as the main core.

I would recommend you download the single DVD copy of LinuxMCE 7.10RC2 which is the official release of 7.1.

Be warned, when you run the install, it will WIPE clean your hard drive. It's much faster than the two CD method and will save you a ton of time installing kubuntu first, then lmce. Why did you go that route anyway? Are you thinking you can have a kubuntu notebook and run lmce when you desire? I don't think that's the right approach. Especially since your notebook likely has only one network card, so you are already crippling the system before you get out of the gate.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 01:09:12 am »
Definitely, as freymann said, only use the DVD unless you have a specific reason to be using the CDs. DVD will take around 40mins as opposed to 3+hrs.

A LMCE core is intended to be on 24/7 and mediating access to your Internet connection as well as providing an internal network and DHCP services. A notebook is not an appropriate piece of equipment for this for many reasons. Either way, you would have to heavily reengineer the system to get it to work at all - you are not selecting the correct "horse" for the "course"!

Finally, Dell D400 and 600 series laptops all use the Intel 945 chipset for graphics. This is far from ideal for LMCE as Intel's drivers are shocking... most 945 based machines I have used crash due to the Photo Screen Saver within minutes of starting up. Definitely true for Dell laptops. If you were to use it as an MD, then you would need to disable the Photo Screen Saver to prevent this.

Pumpkin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 02:08:17 pm »
Again, thank you very much. i really appreciate the advice. I am really only looking for a Linux interface to use for music, movies and pics, so if i understand correctly i would select the the alternate option duing the LMCE install, the one that asks whether it is the primary media machine or just for something else...is that correct?

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 03:21:26 pm »
please read the faq!  linuxmce is much more than media.... there is no media only install.

It will install all features.

if you want a media only distribution maybe look at mythbuntu.

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/