Author Topic: Bandwidth (network) requirement for LinuxMCE  (Read 2574 times)

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Bandwidth (network) requirement for LinuxMCE
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:39:44 pm »
I started experimenting with LinuxMCE. I am wiring 8 network drops for LinuxMCE on its own sub network with its own Gigabit switch on CAT6. If I simultaneously use three Media Directors with a LinuxMCE server to watch three different DVD movies (from harddisk), what kind of Network speeds are required?

TIA
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:40:08 pm by MediaMonkey »
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Bandwidth (network) requirement for LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 03:52:16 am »
You are more than covered there. A DVD is just SD video and really doesn't take that much bandwidth. I was able to watch a couple DVD's using a 100Mb line and still had bandwidth to spare. You only time you really need that gigabit connection is when you're dealing with HD video and/or several MD's.

I do remember reading on the Pluto wiki recommendations for the network configuration, based on how you intend to use it, about a year ago. Since it was in there it's most likely in the LinuxMCE wiki.