Author Topic: kickstart cd hangs  (Read 5249 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kickstart cd hangs
« on: August 19, 2005, 09:17:56 am »
I burned the kickstart cd iso using k3b on my computer upstairs, then went down to the tv computer to try and install pluto, but no luck.  I burned it twice (verifying the burn each time) with no luck.  It always just gets to the "press enter to begin" initial page then does nothing.  It just sits there.  I press enter, f1, 2.4, everything.  It just does nothing.  Is there a good step-by-step for just compiling all the software myself?  I went to the support page and the software list is massive!  There has got to be a list or a spot where I can just download all of it at once or something...or even get the kickstart cd to work so I don't have to compile it all myself...

~Dee

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kickstart cd hangs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:37:50 pm »
I wouldn't really recommends compiling the source code yourself.  We do have a lot of code, and even our fast servers takes about four hours to do a clean compile, and if you build from source they will not be automatically updating, and you won't have all the other scripts.  The real solution is to get the kickstart CD to work.  Have you tried using another keyboard and mouse?  I know the user had reported a similar problem and it ended up being that the mouse and keyboard they were using were somehow not been recognized by the kickstart CD, which is actually just a standard debian linux boot CD, so it's really a driver problem and nothing to do with Pluto.  Our programmers are based in Europe, and work from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. GMT, you can also initiate a live chat request during those hours and then we can transfer you to someone who can help troubleshoot, but my guess is the first thing you does can be asked to use another keyboard and mouse.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kickstart cd hangs
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 08:31:39 pm »
Yes, I tried with my normal keyboard (no mouse either time) and a new usb keyboard.  The usb keyboard was detected because it has feedback lights the pop on when that happens, but no input is accepted from it.  I'll try it with a mouse next time.  I'll try finding another mouse/keyboard set.  Thanks for the info!

Quote from: "aaron.b"
I wouldn't really recommends compiling the source code yourself.  We do have a lot of code, and even our fast servers takes about four hours to do a clean compile, and if you build from source they will not be automatically updating, and you won't have all the other scripts.  The real solution is to get the kickstart CD to work.  Have you tried using another keyboard and mouse?  I know the user had reported a similar problem and it ended up being that the mouse and keyboard they were using were somehow not been recognized by the kickstart CD, which is actually just a standard debian linux boot CD, so it's really a driver problem and nothing to do with Pluto.  Our programmers are based in Europe, and work from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. GMT, you can also initiate a live chat request during those hours and then we can transfer you to someone who can help troubleshoot, but my guess is the first thing you does can be asked to use another keyboard and mouse.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kickstart cd hangs
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 01:37:28 am »
So I finally found a keyboard combo that works and now when I reboot the machine (I have to press the reset button as nothing software works for rebooting) it hangs at "restarting ssh server" and I can't do anything.  :(
What am I doing wrong?  I also couldn't get ivtv to work right.  My video capture card wasn't detected correctly or something.  I think it had to do with installing the ivtv firmware.  I couldnt' find out how to do it on this version of linux, so I had no idea what to do.  Any ideas?

Quote from: "aaron.b"

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kickstart cd hangs
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 09:13:06 am »
to add the firmware please follow the steps described here
http://www.geocities.com/medencid/

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
kickstart cd hangs
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 10:34:22 am »
Regarding keyboard issue. It's really weird behavior what you describe. We haven't tried any USB keyboards, but all of our PS/2 keyboards worked as it's a pretty good and working standard, no special drivers needed. What kind of hardware do you have?