Author Topic: Couple of concerns  (Read 2899 times)

jdilorenzo

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Couple of concerns
« on: September 04, 2007, 04:54:23 am »
I'm thinking about building a system which will provide media and phone services for two houses.  Here are the specs I have in mind for the core and media directors:

Core
P4 2.4
1GB of ram
single 300GB IDE HD
1 PVR-150
1 PVR-500 (two tuners)
Firewire to cablebox

Media Directors
AMD XP 2100+
512 MB RAM
GF 6 series video cards

Concern #1 is that the core won't be beefy enough (horsepower or disk access) to serve 4 media directors.  Let's say for the sake of argument that everything will be SD content and the worst case scenario is 2 media directors watching recorded content, 1 watching live content, and a program being recorded simultaneously.  What do you think?

Concern #2, the houses are at opposite sides of the street, so the only option is wireless.  I'm planning on using pre 802.11n equipment to create a wireless bridge between the two houses.  I'm  not sure what speed the link will run, but after some research, my best guess is between 45-100 Mb.  Will this amount of bandwidth be enough for two MD and an IP phone at the remote house?

Thanks!

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:07:45 am »
Your core is beefy enough, but you might run out of disk space quickly.

You'll have serious problems getting the wireless to work at such a great distance. It would be possible to get one maybe two sd recording to go over that distance with special line of site equipment (the tin can hack) and a booted radio signal (dd-wrt), but I wouldn't attempt it unless you really know what you're doing.

tagno25

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of concerns
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 05:56:40 am »
You'll have serious problems getting the wireless to work at such a great distance. It would be possible to get one maybe two sd recording to go over that distance with special line of site equipment (the tin can hack) and a booted radio signal (dd-wrt), but I wouldn't attempt it unless you really know what you're doing.
you can use wireless products designed for a WISP like the ones offered at wisp-router.com
they will be 802.11b or g because 802.11n is not ratified