1. Orbiter on my device is not that "stable", i.e. sometimes suddenly crashes with no apparent reason.
First, Orbiter CE for WinCE 4.2 shouldn't work on WinCE 4.1; it's like having an application written for winxp and for you to expect that it will work flawlessly on Windows 95. We don't even have a tablet like yours to test it here, so it's very difficult to intuit what's exactly wrong. Best solution will be to have an Orbiter compiled against Pocket PC 2002 SDK.
2. After an Orbiter crash, the orbiter won't start if my hybrid is playing some video. I have to stop playback and have the Onscreen Orbiter go back to the main screen and then the Orbiter on Web Pad will start.
Once it happened also that the hybrid wasn't playing, my XP Orbiter was in use (maybe on Computing screen) and Web Pad Orbiter didn't start until I switched back XP Orbiter to main screen.
There's no reason the behave differently that any other orbiter. Can you give me the log file?
3. When starting Orbiter it always tells me that last time it failed to update, and asks me to do again. If I say "yes" it gives me an error:
Failed to start UpdateBinaryCE.exe application
Please be sure that you are running the correct orbiter
UpdateBinaryCE is also an application that is suppose to work only under WinCE 4.2. When Orbiter upgrades itself, it downloads from the server UpdateBinaryCE and tries to launch it but it fails, because it doesn't run on WinCE 4.1, as I can see. You could try running it manually, with the params from the log file and see if it runs, just to confirm my idea.
4. Recently I've seen that occasionally on Orbiter restart the configuration file gets lost, i.e I have to re-enter device name and dcerouter IP
That's weird because it doesn't happen with our Orbiters. No one deletes the configuration file, so again it might be something change in the api from Windows CE 4.1 to 4.2. Did ever happen same thing with Orbiter XP?
5. After a quick router reload Orbiter is not restarting automatically (as it happens for WinXP Orbiter). It always tells me obviously about the failed update, and it ends giving me a Fatal error: Window creation failed, and then I have to restart Orbiter manually
This is expected.
6 . I have made some restriction on the user that can access Orbiters. Basically I have 2 user, a "family" one and myself. On pluto admin I arranged the settings in order to require the pin code when someone is accessing any orbiter using my account, but it is not working.
This means that user "family" can switch to my account without being asked any pin. This is happening on any orbiter (i.e also on Xp Orbiter and hybrid OnScreen Orbiter)
This is a bug.