Author Topic: MD install fail when trying to register/connect to the core  (Read 5276 times)

geirhoe

• View Profile
MD install fail when trying to register/connect to the core
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:15:56 pm »

I have recently installed a Core on my server (kubutnu + mce images). The installation was simple, as long as I didn't stray away from the default setup (why do you provide an option to change the hostname of the core, when you ignore my setting ?). The setup completed ok (according to the final dialog box), but not all packages was installed. So far I had to manually install the mythweb package.

Is there any way to verify that all needed packages are installed ?

I then continued to install my first MD (with kubuntu install + mce install pkg). The MCE install program detected that I had a running core, and it tried to create the device on the core. This operation never finished.

Then I disabled the harddrive, and performed a netboot on my MD machine. The boot process found the core, loaded the kernel, and tried to announce itselves to the core. Then nothing happened, and the MD machine stopped booting.

Is my NewMDinteractor service broken ?

Please advice

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: MD install fail when trying to register/connect to the core
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:35:36 am »
Then I disabled the harddrive, and performed a netboot on my MD machine. The boot process found the core, loaded the kernel, and tried to announce itselves to the core. Then nothing happened, and the MD machine stopped booting.

Please advice

Hei Geir

How long did you allow it to sit idle after "announcing"?
It will take quite a bit of time to do this especially if the core is busy with other things as well.
I did a PXE boot of a Dell inspiron 6000, and it appeared to stall after announcing itself, but I  just left it there and did something else, when I came back the next day the AV wizard was running.

So excactly how much time it took I don't know

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:24:35 pm »

Please advice

Hei Geir

How long did you allow it to sit idle after "announcing"?
It will take quite a bit of time to do this especially if the core is busy with other things as well.
I did a PXE boot of a Dell inspiron 6000, and it appeared to stall after announcing itself, but I  just left it there and did something else, when I came back the next day the AV wizard was running.

So excactly how much time it took I don't know

I agree the "the announcing" phase can be quite lengthy.

However the pxe boot problem is more likely caused by the fact that you have already attempted to install this machine as an MD that has a local hard drive and therefore does not need to pxe boot from the core. The NIC in your MD will have had its Mac Address logged in the DB as a non pxe boot MD. I would suggest that you look for you MD in Web Admin - Wazard -> Devices -> Media Directors (the Core/Hybrid is the integrated MD on your Core) the MD beneath should be the one you need to delete. Use the green 'Delete' button to delete it. Then attach your diskless pxe boot MD again and power it up... it should be auto-detected and you will see the 'We have announced ourselves..." message on the console. Now wait and eventually the machine will reboot... and it will then install and configure many packages and then if all is well eventually you will see the AVwizard on the screen.

Good luck!

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

geirhoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:52:01 pm »
Thank you for your replies.

1. My MD PC have been waiting at the "announce" prompt for over 2 days now. I detect no extra storage used on the core, So I do not belive that a device is created on the core.

2. I have checked my webinterface, and no devices are shown when I select "Media Directors", only a "Add device" button.

So, I still belive that there is a problem on the core.

Is there any way to detect if any packages are missing on the core ?

How can I verify that the NewMDinteractor service is working properly (I have check the PXE boot image sendt to my MD, and the interactor program is called after the announce message is printed to the screen) ?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 07:34:18 am »
You could click on "configure devices" instead, it could have been added as a child to the core?
I believe Totally is correct.

You did try to restart the MD several times as well I guess?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:17:56 pm »
Try reloading the router.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

geirhoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 07:44:04 pm »

Again, thanks for your answers.

1. Yes, I have tried to reboot the MD machine several times, with no change.

2. If by "reload the router" you mean I should re-install the core computer, I don't' know if that is such a good idea. How can I make sure that the next install would be better ? And how can we make sure nobody else runs into a similar problem ?

It is probably better to figure out what is wrong, so that I cal file a popper bug report so others will avoid this problem.

Since I belive some packages are missing, could somebody with a core-only router (version 7.04) run this command, and upload the resulting file to this thread ?

"sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > ubuntu-files"

It will produce a list of all installed packages, allowing me to run a diff to see what I am missing.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 07:51:17 pm »
i believe Zaerc meant

"choose Wizard, Restart and Quick Reload Router"

not reinstall.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

geirhoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:09:36 pm »
OK. I performed a "Quick Reload Router" on the core. And, just to be safe, I rebootet the core

unfortunately there is no improvement for the MD. Boots OK until I get to the "We announced ourselves to the router" message, and then nothing happens (I watch the  CPU and disk usage on the core, and there is no significant change there, indicating that the problem is still present.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 10:40:37 pm »
Is there anything in the /usr/pluto/diskless/ directory at all?  And how about in the web-admin under "Media Directors"?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

geirhoe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 11:33:38 pm »
There is no directory called /usr/pluto/diskless/ on my core.

There are no entries in the web-admin for Media directors.

Just to try something different, I turned on my HD (in the MD machine), and booted kubuntu. When I startet the MCE install, it did not recognize a core anymore, and presumed I wanted to install a core.

Things are looking up.... :)

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 07:44:58 pm »
Just to try something different, I turned on my HD (in the MD machine), and booted kubuntu. When I startet the MCE install, it did not recognize a core anymore, and presumed I wanted to install a core.

Things are looking up.... :)

I believe that I am experiencing some very similar troubles to your's...  If things are as they look to me, my Core/Hybrid installed incompletely, without any sort of error to that effect.  This, however, is the most operable of SEVERAL different install attempts, and I don't want to risk reload, except as a VERY last option.  Is there any chance you could provide hints as to if / how you got your's fixed?  I'm just hoping that you may have...

Here is a thread I've started, detailing the troubles I've had and am having (As you can see, I didn't actually give up on LMCE!!):
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2764.0