Author Topic: MythTV Observations, ugh.  (Read 11661 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV Observations, ugh.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 01:19:20 am »
and half of my recordings show up in the grid, but they immediately go back to screensaver..meaning they don't get recorded. This is becoming very aggravating...

countzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 01:56:51 am »
Just a few of my observations.......

I have been running mythtv from the TRUNK brach for about 2 yrs now.  I have sustained uptimes on my backend in excess of 200 days.  I can leave a frontned watching Livetv for days on end without any issues.

I have not had any of the same luck with the integrated mythtv in LMCE.  For starters its a bit old and would really benefit from the fixes that have benn contributed since then.

There is a branch of mythtv-frontend called myth-vid brache that brings full opengl OSD to the frontend.  This may be worth looking into.

I second the fact that in its latest incarnations, the internal mythtv player might be our best bet as it now supports most codecs and with the addition of the mythv-vid branch we would gain full opengl OSD.

VDR makes no sense for North American Users as it is designed for DVB-S and there not a hell of alot available FTA/DVB-S in North America.  MythTV has very mature DVB support now in TRUNK.

As far as im concerned TV is one of the most important things of a media center.

In an homage to LinuxMCe i have build a Mythtv backend server which will launch as many diskless frontends as i like ala LMCE.  I use this system along side LMCE until i can get LMCE as stable as i like.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 02:06:42 am by countzer0 »

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 03:38:45 am »
There is a branch of mythtv-frontend called myth-vid brache that brings full opengl OSD to the frontend.  This may be worth looking into.

That sounds just like what I was talking about. I'll definitely give it a look. Thank you! Have you had any experience with it?

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 06:34:58 am »

As far as im concerned TV is one of the most important things of a media center.

What are others thoughts on this. Having used a Tivo for a couple of years - I can't remember the last time I watched live TV. Even sports etc I will start watching 15min or so after it starts. ie; I record everything that I want to watch.
So I only really see MythTV as being a replacement PVR - which in a linuxMCE scenario could mean not even having to use the TV button (assuming recording is done via the web based interface).

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 08:27:54 am »
So I only really see MythTV as being a replacement PVR - which in a linuxMCE scenario could mean not even having to use the TV button (assuming recording is done via the web based interface).

Why intentionally remove functionality. Since watching "LiveTV" is really just watching the recording, almost immediately after it's recorded, it doesn't make sense to intentionally leave that out. The functionality would have to exist if you are to record anything, so why stop users from accessing it? Personally, I like you don't watch LiveTV very often, but I do from time to time and others in my house do more often. I think that is a more common scenario in the common household with a PVR system.

I think you are in the minority if you want to schedule all your recordings only through the web interface. Although I do use MythWeb to schedule recordings, I don't use it for most. Mythfrontend actually has a very nice interface for this and even allows you to do the "Power Searches" so you can basically schedule anything useing any kind of rule you dream up. I personally use this so I only record my home teams basketball games. Granted that LinuxMCE doesn't have this integrated very well... but that's what this conversation is about.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 02:03:28 pm »
I was not suggesting to have it removed. I was trying to gauge the importance to others.
Just to see where priorities should be placed.