Author Topic: use australian community guide for EPG?  (Read 6583 times)

stevetv

• View Profile
use australian community guide for EPG?
« on: August 25, 2007, 08:17:14 am »
hello.  First post :-).

I enjoyed the demo movie on google video.  That gyro remote looks exciting.

I noticed the epg.  Living in australia, we use a community guide for mythtv.  ive installed knoppmyth using the ausdragon script which automatically fixes xmltv to get epg data from the community guide.. its really the only working epg for australians.

can i use this guide data with linuxmce?  i noticed in the demo video the use of datadirect .. so i presume that will move to schedules direct with mythtv 0.20.2. 

from the movie "the tuner card is automatically detected, and it finds the provider for my area.  Since im serviced by datadirect .. bla bla bla."

Will linuxmce "find" the australian community guide as the provider in my area?.. ie australia?

not much point having a pvr without a working epg.. and ive never had great success with the OTA epg.. it gets like 4 hours of epg.. which isnt hugely helpful..

thanks. heres a link to the community guide if needed.
http://www.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TVGuide/WebHome

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: use australian community guide for EPG?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:09:30 am »
linuxMCE is still just wrapping MythTV so everything (most :)) things that work under MythTV still function and work the same under linuxMCE.

For the guide grabber for Australia, you will still need to get the tv_grab_au stuff and install yourself (as you probably had to do with knopmyth I would guess).

When you run mythtv-setup and select Australia it runs the configuration in the console so you are best bet to start the mythtv-process from a console prompt (rather than from orbiter).

HTH
Darren

macca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:53:12 pm »
see http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Information_for_australian_users

just rough notes at this stage, hope to flesh it out a bit soon
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:54:51 pm by macca »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:23:26 pm »
macca - I notice at the end of your post on setting up epg for AU that you mention doing the same thing for Foxtel. Is there anyway of decoding Foxtel? I thought that they (bastards!) only allowed decoding using their own boxes, so the best you could achieve was to do an analogue capture from the output of the Foxtel box, and this would kind of rended an epg pointless, is there another way???

atreidae

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:24:25 pm »
ahh the days of the dodgy horizontal hack for optus cable :D

Steve what card do you use with mythtv to pickup aussie channels, at the moment im focusing on what I have stored already however I am trying to get the missus using LMCE and im slowly getting there (wiimote helped alot, think its the wow factor) and im pretty sure TV would seal the deal.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:58:06 am »
The oztivo guide can also provide guide data for the paytv channels (not sure if icetv can yet though).
You will still need the paytv box and need an infrared channel changer. The signal from the box will come in directly via an analogue capture card (TV Tuner cards are usually fine - you are just not using the tuner). So the guide data is still very useful (and necessary).

atreidae - have you got the wiimote controlling linuxMCE? How well does it work with UI2? I have seen the other threads but I still havn't seen much on how well it actually works under linuxMCE.

macca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:45:18 am »
I am using a leadtek dtv1000t at the moment, picked it up from http://www.arc.com.au for AU$53. It comes with a remote, but i don't think it is supported under linux mce yet.

As for foxtel, i dont have it but as darrenmason said the ozTiVo guide has data for it. The leadtek card has analogue (s video) inputs, dont know if it is possible to use both inputs at once, ie record FTA and watch foxtel ( or vice versa).

as an aside, Big W are selling usb bluetooth dongles for about AU$18, beats paying AU$65 for one  ;)

There seem to be a few aussies floating around here, please feel free to add any information you have (about suppliers, gear you use etc) to the wiki page. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Information_for_australian_users
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:56:24 am by macca »

atreidae

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:44:07 am »
Yes, Wiimote works in UI 2, I havent even bothered testing in UI 1,
This is working without the Light Bar, however I want to do some fiddling as the control is a bit crappy at this stage.
(I haven't even mapped F6 F7 and F8 to the wiimote yet)

see this thread for what I'm updating.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=1246.15

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 05:53:55 am »
macca - I don't think that it is possible to use the external inputs and the tuner at the same time. The input seems to act as a switch and allows you to switch between the inputs (svideo, composite, tuner)

I also have one of the leadtek cards but can't help you with the remote though as mine is in the CORE machine under the house so not much need for the remote there. I use homemade serial infrared receivers for the remotes.

I just got a wiimote as well so I can try what atreidae is doing....

macca

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 09:34:56 am »
I'm not real interested in the leadtek remote either, i can't wait to get my hands on a wiimote though. I put off buying a wii so i could buy some hardware to play around with linux mce. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!

atreidae

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 06:08:41 am »
Macca,
Thats exactly what i did.
went to get a wii on ebay, got too pricey so bought new hardware for linuxmce

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 06:26:41 am »
You don't need to buy a wii though. I just bought a controller off ebay.

Got it working on the desktop last night, will try with linuxMCE when I get a chance.