Author Topic: Control Windows PC via IP  (Read 5319 times)

Droid

• View Profile
Control Windows PC via IP
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:41:03 pm »
I know, I know. This is my first post on these forums (Hello) and I've just suggested this! :-[

However, for all of windows faults it is still the only PC OS which gets major games support. I know LMCE can set all the inputs on TV/Hifi's etc to connect a WinMCE box. A WinMCE-remote/Mouse/keyboard over IP would significantly improve the integration especially since you can't control a windows pc with a gamepad, which is what I see people using to play games with.

So you'd select WinMCE on LMCE interface and use the same (Mouse/Gyro) LMCE controller to start your game and then pick up your gamepad to play it. Or with a more complicated bit of software the game could be selected from within LMCE (Maybe mirrored start menu contents?).

While this isn't an essential feature, I see it being a simple way of adding major game titles to an LMCE setup.

To answer an inevitable replies:
  • I don't think many people will want to play a FPS (for example) for any amount of time using a mouse on the sofa. Console makers have proven this with their consistent use of gamepads.
  • Serious PC gamers will have a gaming box setup elsewhere so they aren't the target for this feature

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Control Windows PC via IP
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:17:33 pm »
you mean something like playing a game through VNC or something?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:13:53 am »
That is an interesting concept, but a ways off before we can really consider building a Windows Media Director, which is what would be required.

As for the gaming front. I play a lot of windows games on Linux and even have Office 2003 installed (let the flames roll) and yes I even have it installed on my Core/Hybrid. I use Cedega and Crossover Office for these tasks. Now this won't let you install every Windows game and application, but most of the popular ones are supported and I think is more than sufficient for a LinuxMCE box.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:00:20 am »
remote desktop, but it's not really good for gaming...

Droid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:39:51 pm »
I don't mean remote desktop or a windows based media director.

I mean have a Windows PC connected to a TV input or capture card. LMCE would be able to set the tv to the windows box's channel and then pass mouse/keyboard inputs to it via ethernet.

See my attached MS Paint masterpiece for how you'd connect this up.

It'd be possible to play games via other media directors just route keyboard/mouse from those directors to the winbox and use the existing LMCE Video over IP to the media directors. I dunno how bad latency would be though.
Maybe implement USB over IP to use game controllers from media directors.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:00:46 pm by Droid »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:24:29 pm »
That is basicly what remote desktop does...
You just want it to be able to play games, You can watch video and play music on a remote desktop, but I have had no success with games.
Then again, I tried it only once (from work).
It is possible that remote desktop could be modded to do what you want.

I think I'd just have a dual boot machine for the gaming.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:07:33 am »
How about a simple KVM switch?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Droid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 02:44:22 am »
The Core is the master, sky/cable/hifi's/DVD players etc. are the slaves. I want LMCE to treat a windows box in the same way as a slave device, using the windows box as a console not a pc, but unlike a console windows can run programs to accept control inputs from alternative outside sources.

Run the windows box on 'Direct A/V' and control it through the LMCE core to get mainstream games seamlessly integrated into a LMCE setup, instead of switching to a different controller, using slow clunky remote desktop or changing a kvm switch. This would follow LMCE's K.I.S.S. approach to everything.

Possibly an easier alternative to mouse/keyboard over IP is a crossover serial cable connected between the core and windows box and use windows' accessibility 'serial keys' function then all that's needed is a new control profile to be added to the serial device control list.

This is a suggestion for some future version of LMCE. I'm not looking for a solution because I don't have a Windows gaming box for my tv yet.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:18 pm »
It's an ok idea, and having games accessible the same way as media would be cool
Gears of war trough LMCE would be cool, no doubt about it