Author Topic: sqlcvs part II  (Read 4606 times)

PowrrrPlay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
sqlcvs part II
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:10:52 pm »
due to the nature of the application we are considering for LMCE;

has any one given thought to using a proven, open source, sql dbms like postgresql instead of sqlcvs?

My understanding is postgresql could manage the movie and music files within the mission critical database and that support, performance and reliability issues would be greately reduced when comparing it to the sqlcvs functions and features.   Many "large" companies world wide use postgresql for these exact reasons for managing the multi terrabyte databases and postgresql already comes bundled in many free linux distros.   

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: sqlcvs part II
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:08:35 am »
It already uses MySQL locally as the database.

sqlcvs is a technology developed by the Plutohome guys to allow sychronisation with the Pluto servers.
The idea is that when a home user creates and adds a new Device Template then the sqlcvs software allows that to be absorbed back into the full set so that once approved and checked by Pluto people everyone else would automatically have access to that template.
I think it works the same (or is meant to) for local configuration setups like new remotes etc and also for local documentation. The idea there was that you would create the documentation for your new device template on your local pluto core and it would also automatically get distributed to everyone via the central hub.

Now that we have forked and are in linuxMCE world - I am not sure if the sqlcvs server still works and does the automatic updating. If Paul is reading this he might be best placed to answer. If it is not, it would be a good thing to bring back as it allows new devices to quickly become available - or even updates to existing ones. I am not sure how this is meant to occur otherwise - I guess it would need to be release based.

A seperate issue might be whether postgresql is a better option than MySQL. I am not sure about this one. Is the database really proving to be a problem at the moment.

Regards
Darren

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:04:11 pm »

sqlcvs is a technology developed by the Plutohome guys to allow sychronisation with the Pluto servers.
The idea is that when a home user creates and adds a new Device Template then the sqlcvs software allows that to be absorbed back into the full set so that once approved and checked by Pluto people everyone else would automatically have access to that template.
I think it works the same (or is meant to) for local configuration setups like new remotes etc and also for local documentation. The idea there was that you would create the documentation for your new device template on your local pluto core and it would also automatically get distributed to everyone via the central hub.

Now that we have forked and are in linuxMCE world - I am not sure if the sqlcvs server still works and does the automatic updating. If Paul is reading this he might be best placed to answer. If it is not, it would be a good thing to bring back as it allows new devices to quickly become available - or even updates to existing ones. I am not sure how this is meant to occur otherwise - I guess it would need to be release based.

A seperate issue might be whether postgresql is a better option than MySQL. I am not sure about this one. Is the database really proving to be a problem at the moment.

Regards
Darren

re postgres v Mysql - I can say that we see any scalability issues at all. It just is not an issue in the context of LMCE
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

PowrrrPlay

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 04:42:22 pm »
Perhaps.

I was thinking that if the media files (like the video ISO's) were stored in the database vs the linux flat file system you would save on duplication and have a more seemless and accurate account of your media files.   You may also find that the DB management functions are more robust within Postgresql and allow for two phase commit processing, replication, etc.

Food for thought.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:19:39 am »
Hi PowrrrPlay,

I do not think there is much to be gained from the actual storage of the media in a relational database. In my opinion surely the filesystem is much better suited to storage of large files and if it was suffering then there is other filesystem types that could be considered. I don't see any duplication currently occurring and given the all the media metadata is being stored in the database then we are already getting the advantages that a DBMS offers.

I can't see any requirements that call for 2 phase commit or DB replication but happy to be proved wrong.

I think our efforts are currently much better spent on things like hardware compatibility and streamlining the efficient recognition of media in the network.

Those are my thoughts anyway...
Darren

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:04:21 am »
Storing the media files in the database will acutally slow thing down considerably. You can get some speed improvements by storing files in the database if they are around 4k or less. Beyond that performance degrades.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 01:56:30 pm »

As far as I know, the LinuxMCE is still using the Pluto sqlCVS server - it was not separated yet. (This information is from Paul's post in separate thread)