Author Topic: is this how LinuxMCE network should be (diagram inside)  (Read 6517 times)

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
is this how LinuxMCE network should be (diagram inside)
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:17:37 am »
this is basic diagram for what i think LinuxMCE should be, if you have another Idea or correction please reply

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: is this how LinuxMCE network should be (diagram inside)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:34:11 am »
this is basic diagram for what i think LinuxMCE should be, if you have another Idea or correction please reply

Yep that looks like good workable config.

We mostly have single NIC Cores where the Broadband router/DSL modem are integrated is set as the gateway (but not DHCP) with the Core itself (providing DHCP) connected to one of the LAN ports on the DSL/Router. Then the MD's, cameras, NAS's etc are all either connected to other ports on the router or via other switches down stream.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:41:57 pm »

Please try to add this diagram and info into Wiki. A lot of questions are repeating about such setup...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

wackychimp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:38:58 pm »
So does the core "prefer" to be the DHCP server?  Trying to think about my topology & where to add a core in.  Currently have:

DSL Modem ---> Wireless Router/DHCP ---> Wireless and wired clients

Thinking about:

DSL Modem ---> LMCE Core & DHCP ---> Wired Ethernet Switch (with clients off of it) ---> Wireless Router---> Wireless Clients

But could/should I do:

DSL Modem ---> Wireless Router & DHCP ---> LMCE Core ---> Wired Ethernet Switch (with clients off of it) ---> Wireless Router (with clients)

Or does it even matter?

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 09:49:36 pm »
A couple of the things you need linuxmce to use dhcp for are media directors ( so they can pxe boot) and network cameras and voip phones. if you dont plan on using anything that will require an ip address then dhcp isnt necessary. if you do, then the dhcp is what usually detects it and sets it up. you can still use shares from other computers without using dhcp. NAS may benefit from getting dhcp from linuxmce....or not....i really havent had any experience with using NAS devices. why do you need two wireless routers? just wondering. just for ease of setup if you decide to change anything...having linuxmce issue the dhcp addresses is probably going to be your best bet. that doesnt necessarily mean you need to network cards etiher. you can still do it with one card....theres posts on that and by now maybe someone put some stuff in the wiki. i havent set it up that way yet so no advice i can give on that one.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 02:24:49 am »
We were actually discussing the exact same thing in this thread:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2279.0

As teedge77 mentioned, the core will need to be the dhcp server for your internal network to allow network boot. The diagram listed does allow for that though. Put simply, it's best to have the core as close to the internet as possible. Your second option will not allow network boot unless you enable dhcp on the core. It is possible, with that topology, to have both dhcp servers running. The one on the router would be the DHCP server to the core and wireless clients and the one on the core would be the dhcp server for all wired connection. This would, however, cause your home network to be on separate subnets and would not talk to each other without more advanced configuration. I recommend you save yourself a lot of headache and go with option 1.

wackychimp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 06:22:22 am »
why do you need two wireless routers? just wondering. just for ease of setup if you decide to change anything...having linuxmce issue the dhcp addresses is probably going to be your best bet. ...

Not 2 wireless - 1 wired and 1 wireless.  Wireless for home laptop and 2 laptops brought home from work.

Wired gigibit switch for core, media directors, desktops and Tivos.

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:06:42 am »
than you guys for the information you add to me, i made that digram in my home last night and i end up with error failed to initialize OpenGL and i saw strange things after i made change from 1eth to use two eth NIC:
i got error saying ailed to initialize OpenGL  :-\
i found i have eth0 and eth0:0
there is internal and external one
my DHCP i made in external and the internal will be fixed IP or to get IP from my DSL router DHCP.
disabling DHCP in DSL is not good idea for my case since sevral laptop accessing the internet and don't want to go through the LMCE. i have   to find some other way to set up two DHCP one for DSL and another for LMCE  ???. otherwise i will follow you advice by changing everything to have LMCE as the only DHCP in my home  ;D.
but i need to know the usage and difference between LMCE internal and external NIC  :-[.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 11:46:06 am »
That is actually a common problem caused by having only one NIC detected (or even physically there) during install. Do a search for eth0:0 and you'll come up with a lot of results...