Author Topic: MEDIA HDD  (Read 5682 times)

slamMan

• View Profile
MEDIA HDD
« on: September 01, 2007, 12:24:30 am »
Am I missing something. I have a second HDD installed on sdb1. LinuxMCE identified it and mounted it under /home/public/data/other.
The drive has about 3,000 .ogg files on it and a handfull of .mp3. They are stored as follows:

/home/public/data/other/Internal HDD-CORE (sdb1) [38]/music/"ARTIST"/"ALBUM"/"TITLE"

In the web admin all folders show both on the HDD and in the database.

However in the Orbiter only the .mp3 files show up. They are all in the same directory with ARTIST = Various and ALBUM = Various. Nothing outside of this directory is visible from the orbiter. If I go to the desktop I can navigate to the folder and play the files with no problem.

My question is how do I help the Orbiter see the other files?

Thanks.

Oh yeah the drive has been installed since installation on this install because I had the same problem after adding the drive after set last time both internally and via usb. This installation has been up for about 8 hours. On the last install the sysem seemed to noticeably slow down once the drive was added, and again this time it seems to be moving slower with periods of freezing for a few seconds. I thought it may have been updating and cataloging, but after 8 hours I tend to doubt that would still be the case.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Re: MEDIA HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:19:42 pm »
Hi,

maybe MediaUpdate daemon is causing slow down. I couldn't find any data regarding how it works, when it's started etc... So every now and then I tend t switch it off...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

slamMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:36:47 am »
I found the media. It only shows up when filtered by title. Apparently either the .ogg format does not have info encoded to the file to determine other info such as album or artist, or the linux mce software doesn't scan for it. I need to look into .ogg more.

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:38:09 am »
Seems like a lot of people have these problems.
Here's another thread about it.

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2310.0

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:27:38 pm »
I found the media. It only shows up when filtered by title. Apparently either the .ogg format does not have info encoded to the file to determine other info such as album or artist, or the linux mce software doesn't scan for it. I need to look into .ogg more.

Unfortunately, UpdateMedia does not yet have the capability to read tags for OGG or FLAC files.  This is pretty frustrating, as I have a lot of my music in FLAC format and I don't really feel like hand-coding information for a bunch of music.  When Pluto/LMCE rips a FLAC or OGG file, it creates a separate file that contains the title, artist, etc, in what I think is an MP3 tag format.  It then uses this file to identify the track.  The long-term solution is to fix UpdateMedia to correctly read Vorbis tags and populate the database.  I already submitted a patch to get LMCE to add the correct data to OGG and FLAC files when it rips them from CD.  I think this is in the current release.

The short-term solution will probably be to write a script/program that reads Vorbis tag information and creates the file that LMCE uses to identify the track.  This would have to be run each time you add new music from outside LMCE.  If any enterprising coder wants to take a crack at it, I'm guessing there are a lot of people with OGG/FLAC music that would be very appreciative.  Otherwise, that's next on my list once I get the Insteon integration mildly stabilized and integrated.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:17:42 am »
hello all!

I got my MCE installation to work more or less pretty good!

Now I have taken the second HDD out of my XP machine and put it in my MCE machine.

KDE Desktop:

The 300gb HDD is recognized in the menu system settings (advanced) > Disk & File Systems (Admin mode)

There are several different mounting options but i have yet to find a configuration to get it mounted.

Since I have my data backed up on an external HDD - i am prepared to format the second HDD and start all over again.....if some kind soul would be willing to point this n00b in the right direction.

Then i can copy the data from from my external HDD back up!

thanks to all.

Any advice to mount the 2nd internal HDD as above?

Thanks!

Hi...

Presumably since your 300GB drive came from a Windows machine it is currently formatted NTFS... which means it will be read only (but mountable). Alternatively you could format it ext3, which is linux compatible, and then partition it as a single 300GB partition. Then lmce should detect it and ask you if you would like to have it manage the drive for you... say yes and your away.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 03:38:48 pm »
Any tips to change the permissions or moving data?

Whenever I find that have problems with moving data to a partition I change the permissions of the partition by using the chmod command. From Konsole type in the following command to give full read, write and executable permissions:

Code: [Select]
sudo chmod 777 /meida/"drive name"
That usually works for me, though there might be a better way... I just don't know it.
Core: Broken :(