Author Topic: New update for schedules direct  (Read 41831 times)

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New update for schedules direct
« on: August 31, 2007, 10:06:04 am »
A new update is coming for schedules direct.  See the news item on the main site which will be posted later today, and, if possible, follow the instructions in the news article to be a beta tester of the update before it's released to the general public.  If there are any problems with the update, post them immediately to this thread, please.  Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: New update for schedules direct
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:05:51 am »
don't know of anyone else, however I made my change almost a night and  a half ago to add the beta updates site to my hosts file, and no change.

-Thom

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:45:13 am »
Try running apt-get update and see if it actually hits the LinuxMCE server.

Edit:
I noticed two things:
1) I can't even ping that IP address
2) apt-get trys to hit deb.linuxmce.com, not update.linuxmce.com
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 08:49:57 am by dopey »

countzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:52:49 pm »
 I would like to second the fact that the IP is not online.

Code: [Select]
root@mythbox:/usr/local/src# ping 72.167.34.81
PING 72.167.34.81 (72.167.34.81) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 72.167.34.81 ping statistics ---
1556 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1555272ms

Im wondering why there isnt alot of interest in this.  Are you guys not watching TV on your LMCE rigs.
I found the particular version of mythtv that ships with LMCE to be more then unstable. Couple that with the lack of guide data and i fail to see how anyone is using LMCE to distribute TV around the house.

Coming from a strong MythtV background, this is the one thing that is making LMCE unusable for me.

Personaly I run my Mythbackends on seperate boxes then LMCE as i have a good deal of tuners (6 DVB-S and 2 DVB-T)  These cannot all be crammed into an LMCE core.  I have been able to build mythfronend packages and install them on the core to connect to my backends.  This works fine on the core but does not work on diskless MD's as i beleive the mythplugin is handling playback there.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:05:05 pm by countzer0 »

karib

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 08:18:56 pm »
Same issue here no response from the "72.167.34.81 updates.linuxmce.com" host entry.

There is an "update.linuxmce.com" DNS entry to a different address (208.69.32.137), I wonder if the host entry is supposed to replace that (when the new server is up)

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 11:29:28 am »
General
The proposed updates are now online on 72.167.34.81 .This are not the final updates and are there only for testing !!!

The update where tested on our computers but since it's possible that your systems are configured different I recommend you to do at least a backup of your current configuration before doing the steps below. You can do this by going in the pluto web admin : Advanced -> Configuration -> Backups. It's safe to also backup all you important data also.

Thanks for your help and we await your feedback on this tread.

How to install the test updates :
-Edit your /etc/hosts file from you lmce hybrid and add this line:
72.167.34.81 updates.linuxmce.com-You can wait until the cron job that look for updates detects them or you can force detection by manually running this script on the hybrid (as root):
/usr/pluto/bin/LMCEUpdates_DownloadXml.sh This may take some time depending on your network speed. You can always check the status of the command by attaching to the screen named 'LMCEUpdate_DownloadXML'
screen -r LMCEUpdate_DownloadXML - After the updates finish downloading a message will be displayed on the orbiters saying that new updates are available. Click on the 'Yes' button in that screen. If you miss that screen you can always get it back by running the script again (won't download the updates twice).
- At this point you need to reboot your core and on the next boot the updates will be installed.
- After the hybrid updates the MDs can update too when they'll first boot.

How to check if the updates where installed
To check if the updates are installed correctly you can check the 'LastUpdate' Device Data value of your Core and MDs (using pluto web admin). It should say '1' for Core and '2' For MDs. You can also find that information in the 'Advanced' screen of your Orbiter.

How to reset the update
Uninstalling the updates is not possible, but since this is a testing update, you may want to install the final update too. In order to do that you need to remove the line you added in /etc/hosts and reset the update version by running the command bellow in a shell:
echo "Update Device_DeviceData SET IK_DeviceData=0 WHERE FK_DeviceData=235" | mysql -u root pluto_mainThis way when the official updates will be available your system will update too.

Additional Info
Don't forget to run Video Wizard an setup the new provider for myth. Sorry, i forgot to mention that when i first wrote the article. Still Waiting for your comments.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:27:00 am by asgard »

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 08:51:10 pm »
I can confirm that even though that IP doesn't respond to pings, the update does begin when executing that command. Thank you for that command it helps with the testing.

That's a huge file BTW. A lot bigger than I expected (two files totaling 718MB). But thankfully it's being hosted by a fast server. Thank you to whomever is sponsoring that.

I'll post back when it successfully completes. At least that way we'll have someone here reporting that it works.

Update:
Although the download successfully completes and the message does appear on the screen, there are no buttons for "Yes" or "No"; just the normal back and close buttons. (using UI2 without alpha-blending)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:10:41 pm by dopey »

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 09:22:05 pm »
i was fooled by the lack of the ping :)
just started to do the update, running a core only with remote windows orbitors so will see if i get the option boxes pop up.
only running at 25Kb/s :( 6 hours left for the first 403M file.....

countzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:45:10 pm »
The option yes or no did appear on UI1.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 09:47:14 pm »
only running at 25Kb/s :( 6 hours left for the first 403M file.....

Ouch... It was running between 600KB/s to 1.3MB/s for me... The whole thing finished downloading in about 10 minutes. It's probably your connection, but I've never seen a cap like that on any broadband connection...

Quote from: countzer0
The option yes or no did appear on UI1.

I was about to get my Nokia 770 out and test that. Good to know that should work.

countzer0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 10:06:15 pm »
Unfortuantely mythtv is failing to start.. I am looking into it deeper now... ;(

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 12:05:54 am »
Ok, I was able to get it to upgrade using the Nokia 770 and UI1. I should note that the reason for the buttons not coming up in UI2 for me may very well be my fault. When the Nokia Orbiter started up it said I needed to reload the router (I must have forgot to do that when I did some change). After that both Orbiters said they needed to be regenerated.

Unfortuantely mythtv is failing to start.. I am looking into it deeper now... ;(

I was able to get it to start... but... during the first startup LinuxMCE incorrectly said it had died. I'm thinking it just didn't wait long enough for the MythTV theme to pre-scale. After pressing OK on the error Myth started up, but it couldn't connect to the backend. I tried to start the backend manually, but it said it was already running (not true). I then removed the pid file and restarted mythbackend. This initially got it to start, but it fails almost immediately. LinuxMCE is now in an infinite loop trying to start it...

Update:
After LinuxMCE restarted myth-backend several times, it did manage to stabilize. I'm still unable to connect to myth, but after examining the log file I think it has to do with the provider needing to be setup... duh, I guess...

Update2:
Confirmed, after setting up the provider everything works fine. Eveyone just needs to remember that after running this update you need to rerun the provider portion of the setup wizard.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 12:44:58 am by dopey »

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 03:25:47 pm »
:) it did speed up to 60Kb/s avage, so didn't take tooo long.
Updated ok using UI1 and remote orbitor.
Rebooted and did its thing. now showing the newer version.
Not fin setting up my mythtv so cant check.
trying to get voip done first.....

karib

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 03:50:09 pm »
Install died somewhere in the middle, had to delete the .lck file to get it going again.
UI1 never showed the Yes/No buttons, just the text on the Hybrid Core. I had another orbiter I fired up, and the upgrade message was fine in UI2.
MythTV install went ok after the reboot, is it really a 20.2 or something hacked together?

Reboot/Install took a very long time due to having around 30k media files (video, TV, music, etc) and it looked like it re-imported or verified every one on the reboot.

MythTV old guide sources were removed from the setup, but not from the myth database. I had to erase all video sources to clean this up.

1 of 2 schedules downloaded successfully, the 2nd refuses to import. It is set up correctly in Schedules Direct, but after downloading all the data it pops up "0 of 0 shows" to import. Will keep working on this as all my HD tuners are off line now.

Standalone Myth front end on Gentoo, and using the ebuild prior to the 20.2 release still works to connect.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 08:28:15 am »
arrggg!!! help!

I did the update, no errors noticed, but when I try to enter my username and password in the wizard, it says, "There was an error retrieving your provider information, please check your username/password/location" ...

I have logged in several times to schedulesdirect.org flawlessly from a blank form, my username and password work... why is it not working inside LinuxMCE? has anyone else had this problem?

arg

-Thom