Author Topic: New update for schedules direct  (Read 41837 times)

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New update for schedules direct
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 01:16:22 am »
I have this same problem.  Can someone point me to the correct log file?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 07:11:17 am »
I just got back from CEDIA and the download and update went fine. But I also have a problem with it not getting the lineups.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 09:25:20 am »
>> I found the particular version of mythtv that ships with LMCE to be more then unstable.

I'm really baffled.  It's a stock Kubuntu distro, and with all stock, pre-built myth packages.  I didn't change anything at all with Myth.  LinuxMCE is just some extra software that goes on top, it doesn't replace anything in the kernel or in MythTV.  It does auto-update config files, but I've gone over the way LinuxMCE auto-configures MythTV and can't find anything wrong with it.  If LinuxMCE really has done something to make MythTV unstable, *please* email me directly at webpaul1 [at] gmail.com so I can fix it, since that would be a big issue.

>> Try running apt-get update and see if it actually hits the LinuxMCE server

You shouldn't ever do that.  The normal update mechanism is disabled in LinuxMCE and instead it has it's own.  If you do that it will cause it to update the packages from Ubuntu, which may include kernel updates that break the other kernel modules in LinuxMCE (like PVR cards, etc.).

>> update.linuxmce.com

Where did that URL come from?  It's updates with an s, which resolves to 208.109.177.142 the same as linuxmce.com/linuxmce.org, and does respond to pings.  I saw several guys used update without the 's'.  Did I type that in somewhere?

>> I did the update, no errors noticed, but when I try to enter my username and password in the wizard, it says, "There was an error retrieving your provider information, please check your username/password/location" ...

If someone who has trouble could help debug this I'd really appreciate it.  Here's what to do: ssh into your core and run this command to follow the router's log: TailDCERouter.sh

Look for the log entry:Command:Spawn Application.  Underneath are the parameters for the command.  Note the Filename and the Arguments.  Run the filename + arguments with a bash -x so you can see what it's doing.  It should be hitting the SD servers, passing in the username/password, and echoing back to the console the list of providers/lineups.  Maybe you can see why it's not working?  If you want me to try it using your username & password, you can email me that privately and I'll test it on my box to see if there's something different with your SD account instead of mine that's causing the script to break.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 09:43:42 am »
webpaul1, Looks like the update got fudged...

I noticed this inside DataDirectProvider.sh

/usr/bin/wget -q --http-user=$USER --http-passwd=$PASS --post-file=$POSTFILE --header=Accept-Encoding:gzip "http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com/
tvlistings/xtvdService" --output-document=-|gzip -d>$RESPONSE

is there a way to force/reapply the update?

-Thom

dirar

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 01:02:52 am »
My system took the update and keeps asking me to update provider. But I don't have a tuner installed so there is no way of changing the provider. Is it possible to disable this notification, it keeps popping up every about 30 seconds.

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 11:49:18 am »
My system took the update and keeps asking me to update provider. But I don't have a tuner installed so there is no way of changing the provider. Is it possible to disable this notification, it keeps popping up every about 30 seconds.

Just hit Ok on that screen

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 11:58:23 am »
I spotted that the user having 3rd party debs installed on their system have a problem regarding the update. If you had any problem with the updates, in order to fix them i'll need some info on why it fail.

1) Check the output of this line to see the version, it should be '2.0.0.44.0709022200':
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l 'pluto-mythtv-plugin'
2) Reset the updates and manually apply them again to see what it fails
Code: [Select]
echo "UPDATE Device_DeviceData Set IK_DeviceData = 0 WHERE FK_Device=1 AND FK_DeviceData = 234" | mysql pluto_main;
echo "UPDATE Device_DeviceData Set IK_DeviceData = 1 WHERE FK_Device=1 AND FK_DeviceData = 235" | mysql pluto_main;
bash -x /usr/pluto/bin/LMCEUpdate_Apply.sh | tee /var/log/pluto/manualupdate.log

You'll have the output in tee /var/log/pluto/manualupdate.log
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:16:56 am by webpaul1 »

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 07:25:17 pm »
Before running asgard's command to force an update you can run:
echo "SELECT FK_Device,IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData WHERE FK_DeviceData=234" | mysql pluto_main

That will list each device and the version it was updated to.  Device 1 is the core (ignore device 19), the other devices are likely media directors.  If the 2nd column is 0, then the update has not been applied yet.  If it's 1, then you got the update.

Then: cat /usr/pluto/bin/DataDirectProviders.sh

The line that starts with /usr/bin/wget, if the URL is: http://webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com  then the update was applied successfully.

In 1audio's case, the 2nd column in that mysql select was 1, meaning it did get the update and try to apply it.  But the DataDirectProviders.sh file was old.  The reason was that 1audio had manually upgraded the slimserver on his box so there were broken packages.  Such broken packages were a constant problem with LinuxMCE 1.0, so 0704 bypasses the usual apt-get upgrade mechanism and instead downloads update rules from linuxmce.com.  The updates themselves are still mostly .deb packages, but this way when multiple packages need to be updated in parallel across multiple repositories (ie Kubuntu's, LinuxMCE's, 3rd party kernel modules, etc.) they all get done at once.  But if you manually do some updates it's possible to still have broken packages like with 1.0.

asgard's instructions assume that you got the update downloaded, but that like 1audio it didn't apply correctly.  I would suggest adding to asgard's instructions to run the command like this: /usr/pluto/bin/LMCEUpdate_Apply.sh | tee /var/log/pluto/applyupdate.log
so the output is archived in /var/log/pluto/applyupdate.log and that way you have a copy of it and can paste it in this forum.

I'd really like to know re: the other users with issues if they were: 1) that you didn't get the update (ie the mysql select above shows the version is 0), 2) that you got the update, but like 1audio it didn't apply correctly because you have a non-standard LinuxMCE install, or 3) that you got the update and do have a standard LinuxMCE install, but something is broken in LinuxMCE's update mechanism.

Let's keep this thread on the topic of helping ensure everybody gets the currently released update and gets schedules direct working.  I started a new thread here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2422.0  where we can post comments about the update mechanism in general and get into details about how to make it better for the next release.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 02:32:35 am »
My guess is a package conflict. It will prevent Myth from installing. Did you install or change anything from the stock install?

Brucewat

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 03:29:18 am »

I have tried to force the update but it seems to not be down loading it from the server and I am not able to ping the address? This is a fresh install and the only thing I have added was gedit? this is the 2nd time I have tried with a fresh install the first time I clicked on the force update button on the advance page of the media director and it did not upgrade after a day. one thing if it helps I also added the "update host address" before  the system got any of its first updates. I did run the apply script in the 2nd to the last post and the log file was empty?

Bruce W.

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 02:29:33 am »
Paul--

I think I'm in the same boat as 1audio.  I downloaded an updated slimserver package.  Checking the version of the hybrid showed that it was updated, but I still had zap2it in DataDirectProviders.sh.  Unfortunately, following asgard's instructions just got me back to the same position, where the version was correct but the script was not updated.

I ran the update script per your instructions:
/usr/pluto/bin/LMCEUpdate_Apply.sh | tee /var/log/pluto/applyupdate.log

but applyupdate.log was empty after the update script ran.  The script looked like it was working, and updated the version of the hybrid.

Thanks,
-Pete

Brucewat

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 02:52:40 am »

Well,
This afternoon I did a fresh install on my box and I then waited and let the system upgrade on its own before I changed the hosts file I left the box alone and it loaded the upgrade. Then I installed it and it had  the Scedules Direct change...

Bruce W.   

heus

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 07:05:33 am »
I've rebooted a couple of times but it hasn't yet picked up the update.  I have gotten the notification screen, but there are no yes/no buttons.  Has anyone had the same problem and done something to resolve or have the buttons just appeared after time?  I did notice that the database doesn't show that the updates were successfully downloaded:

mysql> SELECT FK_Device,IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData WHERE FK_DeviceData=234;
+-----------+---------------+
| FK_Device | IK_DeviceData |
|         1 | 0             |
|        19 | 0             |

but I do see the files in the /home/updates directory.

ryan@dcerouter:/usr/pluto/bin$ ls -l /home/updates
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-09-14 22:15 1
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-09-14 22:15 2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-09-14 22:32 3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1359 2007-09-07 11:03 updates.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 2007-09-14 23:13 updates.xml.old

Does anyone know if there's any harm in untarring and executing these updates manually from the /home/updates directory?

-Ryan

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 08:03:50 am »
I was able to install the update by removing the sources in my apt sources.list except for the package cache, then running the update manually.

-Thom

druke

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 05:18:23 am »
SD worked perfectly upon fresh (3 cd install) for myself