Author Topic: Migrating from MythTV  (Read 2492 times)

tamiral

• First post!
    • View Profile
Migrating from MythTV
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:49:33 pm »
I've heard about LinuxMCE upon its 1.0 release, saw the demo video @ YouTube and was absolutely amazed!
I said to myself that this isn't your traditional PVR / MediaCenter program. I had to try it out.

I've been using MythTV for couple of years now. Lately I've decided to re-organize all of my home media appliances, so I will have an additional PVR/HTPC in my bedroom which will be connected to my main HTPC in my living room. In short, I bought an iMac for my day-to-day computer needs, so I had a Core2DUO Intel PC which is now free for LinuxMCE installation.

I remember the first time I had to install MythTV. I spent more than a week of blood spitting over few things, some of them aren't working to this very day. I'm hoping that with LinuxMCE I will have more luck... I understand that 'out-of-the-box' is a common phrase now...

I would like to use this post for questions about my newly installed LinuxMCE, features that I need and I'm not sure that LinuxMCE does, installation issues, etc.

My apologies in advance for any questions that are already answered in this great forum. I promise I will lookup first before posting here.

1. Does LinuxMCE has a web-interface similar to the one MythTV has? I find it extremely useful for recording TV shows when I'm away.

2. I've purchased the Gyration GO 2.4 mouse from Amazon which I think is similar to the one I saw on the demo video. Do I have to setup anything additional for it to work with LinuxMCE?

3. According to this: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Known_Issues I understand that I'm unable to use the 'nvidia' driver in my xorg.conf but only the vesa driver. Won't this cause a problem with X.264 and H.264 hardware acceleration?

4. I would like to have a main LinuxMCE box with PVR capabilities and another client box which will read content from the main box. How is this possible?

Thanks!

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating from MythTV
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 03:43:25 am »
1. Yes, in fact it includes MythWeb
2. No, it works out-of-the-box
3. That post is out of date. You can and should use the nvidia driver, especially if you want to use UI2 and hardware render acceleration.
4. I'm not sure I fully understand the question. LinuxMCE is setup so you have core (think of this like mythbackend) and then several media directors (again kind of like mythfrontend). By default, the core has a media director installed on it so you can watch the media directly on the core, but you can also net boot another computer, which it into a media director. You can also continue to use MythTV on other computers without the rest of the media director.