Author Topic: Abit AN-M2HD any give it a try. Would like to know if compatible?  (Read 9729 times)

tzinternet

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I noticed today that there are only 4 boards in the wiki.  Please PLEASE if anyone
has a known working setup and the board is not listed could we please get it listed with
known problems and such.   I am looking at using the Abit AN-M2HD  and want
to know if there are any know compatibility issues?  Thanks!

chris33f

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Abit AN-M2HD any give it a try. Would like to know if compatible?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:22:32 am »
This board seems to be one of the best µATX with video on board.
I am really looking at it, for my htpc.
Any feedback appreciated ;-)

elboy0712

• Veteran
    • View Profile
just got this one in the mail today will post more
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:30:09 pm »
Also i mentioned that I had boght this one before in another post ... MARANDy found it and was asking me but i can find the poat to update it ..... now where that thing go .... anyway will post at least here later with stories

elboy0712

• Veteran
    • View Profile
to load .... but im going to bench it tonight and see what i can do .... will be back on later with more info

elboy0712

• Veteran
    • View Profile
board was faulty trying to reorder.... but eaglebit not picking up the phone
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:50:01 pm »
will let everyone know when i get more

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:52:22 am »
I'm currently using this board. Every step of the installation has required some software tinkering, but this is my first ever linux install, and I'm begining to realise that's normal :D

Only thing that I have noticed is that the motherboard doesn't seem to turn off when the PC is turned off. There is always a light on the motherboard, and my case has a VFD screen which connects to the motherboard power lead (A small 3 pin lead off the main plug), and it's constantly lit unless I turn the PSU off at the back. I've had to unplug it for now because it was getting annoying. ???
Warning, total Linux NooB, but willing to learn!

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 02:57:26 am »
That's a safety indicator to show that there's still power to the board. Some installers will attempt to do things that they shouldn't while a board still has juice going to it, thus an indicator.

auyongtc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 04:02:32 am »
Every step of the installation has required some software tinkering

John, care to elaborate on what software tinkering you had to do while installing LinuxMCE on this board? I'm looking into getting this board too. Also, which video output interface did you use to connect to your TV, and at what resolution (if you're connecting it to a TV)? Thanks.

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:46:32 am »
Hey, if it'll help, I'm using it's little brother, the AN-M2. I'm connecting via DVI to my Olevia 32" LCD, and the only thing I had to change on the install routine was the following:

- burned LinuxMCE Quick Install DVD.
- set amount of memory to be used by the video card in the bios. I set mine for 256mb, don't know if it'll help, but no complaints yet.
- set CD to boot first in bios, save and exit.
- let it run. This took a while. If the panel goes blank, don't worry, just shake the mouse or hit an arrow on your keyboard.
- ran into no avwizard bug, solved by logging in (user: linuxmce, pass: linuxmce) and used "cd /etc/X11" and "sudo mv xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard xorg.conf". This is the hardest part, since it is constantly flickering back and forth between the main screen and some other garbage. Try doing it in bursts, it helps. This must be done quickly, because after a few minutes, you can't type anything and you must reboot and try again.
- wait for a bit, screen will flicker, then set it at 800x600 and 50hz for the panel, plus UI2 medium (no alpha, that flickers on screen) on the prompts that follow.
- after making it through the wizard, wait some more. screen will go black, dialog will come up, stuff starts downloading. let it download everything and build the panel. Strange thing is, you'll have no indicator of progress until it actually starts building the orbiter, so just be patient, it doesn't take too long.
- once the orbiter finished building and I got the OpenGL error, I restarted the machine.
- hit esc at the grub prompt, entered recovery mode.
- logged in, typed "startx" to get kde going.
- downloaded envy (just google 'envy nvidia'), saved to disc.
- follow instructions listed in that site's FAQ for install
- Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to dump out of X once installed
- type the following command..."dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
- set up everything pretty much to the defaults, with the following changes...set driver to 'nvidia' (not nv or vesa!), set the memory to be used by the videocard in kb (mine was 2097152 for 256 MB, just google xxx MB to kb in google to convert), and make sure your preferred screen size is selected (I had to add 1280x768 to my selection, three of the lower sizes are pre-selected by default). Let it write and autodetect whatever it needs to, you should be fine.
- it'll write to xorg.conf and make you a backup. woo hoo, you're almost home free.
- type "vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
- If you know vi, then add the following (if you don't, shift+R lets you edit, arrow keys move you around, and esc stops editing...once done, hit shift+Z+Z to save)
     Option     "UseEdidDpi"     "false"
     Option     "NoLogo"          "true"
- That's it! A little bit of pain, but so worth it. As soon as you restart, the software will detect the change in screen resolution, rebuild the orbiter, and you're just about ready to go. If you have any more issues (can hear but not see video prompts, dvd's come up jarbled) here are the two actions that you will find the most helpful:

A) WAIT. Sometimes it takes a second, don't get button-happy. I kept on getting kicked into KDE after trying to reach the advanced settings panel, and it turns out it was just my own fault for being too impatient to come up (the button for KDE desktop on the next screen was in the same place as the advanced button on the main menu, so it was just doing what I asked it to...)

B) NEVER UNDERSTIMATE THE HEALING POWER OF A GOOD REBOOT. Sometimes it finished installing devices and just restarting the router isn't enough. Give it the one-finger salute back to good health, and you'll see that it'll work a lot better the next time around.

Hope that helps!

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:27:59 am »
Two other ways to stop X in LMCE:
first- from a console type "init 1" this will blow everything away and take you to a prompt single user mode. Then type "init 3" to get to a useful level.
second- /usr/pluto/bin/Stop_X.sh This seems to do an orderly shutdown of x so you can make changes (otherwise it tries to restart). You can then start x with /usr/pluto/bin/Start_X.sh . Getting to the console and running the script when its doing its flashing is difficult. I try to time the typing to the flashing.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:08:41 am »
Another option is to reboot into "rescue" mode (press [Esc] during boot when told to do so), then after making changes either reboot again or use "telinit 2".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

elboy0712

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Im afraid to ask how you came up with this particular course of actions
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 11:12:51 am »
Lol. But for me I think I want something a little bit more streamlined. I feel like If I buy something for the use of its features. (MOBO with all the fun stuff) then I should be able use them ..... anyway ..... But that said thanks for all the info looks like you solved the mystery for everyone .....

Now is anyone else successfully using a 7050 board without the hitches?

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 11:30:38 am »
I think the 7025 and 7050 are pretty much the same thing, just one has HDMI support and the other has DVI.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 06:17:06 pm »
The core problem with the 7050 is that the chipset has new internal hooks for control and won't work with the older drivers. The newer drivers work the board, but with bugs (check their web site, and I have experienced these myself). its obviously possible to update the drivers and move forward but the experience won't be as stable as the older solutions for now.  Probably one more release of the driver from Nvidia and working out an installer solution will fix this.

I have also noticed no difference in the video performance, power consumption or system load with the new chipset, but as usual, Linux will get 50% of the good stuff a year later.