Author Topic: All Developers, please read.  (Read 33006 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: All Developers, please read.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 10:26:06 pm »
I still get complains that Myth is less stable in LinuxMCE than in stock Ubuntu, which baffles me given that LinuxMCE is stock Ubuntu + stock MythTV. 

Excuse me for getting offtopic, but couldn't that be caused by the older kernel version that is used?  I can imagine some drivers and/or firmware getting updated in the mean time.  :-\
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 02:40:41 am »
Most of the emails I get are for feature requests.

This is just down right unacceptable. Feature requests belong in the forum, not in your inbox. We really need to do something about this ASAP as it's just counter productive... but I guess that leads us to your (and my) first priority. There still hasn't been anyone willing/able to step up to this task though. I'm just unable...

I would prioritize things just like you did... only I wouldn't have really considered the pin code thing...

It seems everyone in this thread is in violent agreement; we just don't know how to proceed.

Zarec,
There are many things that can cause this. In my experience, Myth is very picky about its dependencies. You are right though, the kernel would be a good place to start as most V4L problems are solved there. The next step would be to identify any (possibly deep) dependencies Myth uses that LinuxMCE overrides and builds itself instead of using the stock versions.
The integration with the mythconverg database is also causing problems. I know at one point LinuxMCE added 5 tuner cards to the database even though I had only one installed... it did remedy the situation itself though...
I should note that I'm not having any stability problems in Myth. Myth is operating just as expected for this version of LinuxMCE. Though if you see my other threads on this topic I do definitely agree that the Myth integration should be improved. It's just not as high of a priority as building the community.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 02:49:59 am »
yup, I am in agreement here too. let's DO it. my main thing right now is, I'm trying to get a development environment set up... I tried using the UbuntuHelper scripts, but I have a funny feeling those are for 1.0??? .... not sure....

I will write down how to set up an up-to-date environment, so long as I know I am building the right tree, the right environment, etc.

-Thom

mdarmistead

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 10:21:51 pm »
Hi all, I'm a newbie here, but reading this thread has sparked my interest. I'm very interested in helping out with organization and documentation. I'm not a developer, though I do so some amateur coding, but I have done technical documentation for hardware related issues. I generally have my evenings free and can generally also bust out some time at work.

My interest in LinuxMCE stems from wanting to create a touchscreen video intercom/background music system for a small office environment. A lot of the features in LinuxMCE are not really needed in this sort of implementation, but the feature set is so rich and the system far more stable than anything else I've tried, that it's the only system I can really consider for my project. I expect that as I become more familiar with the system that I will want to offer other services to the office staff, such as video on demand, room light control, etc.

Let me know if I can be of use.

Matt Armistead
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Niels

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 02:28:56 pm »
1) Find someone who has knows the FOSS world well, has some clout in the FOSS community, and has some free time, and who can act as a community liason to start building a team.

what is FOSS?

2) Find someone who's good at writing docs, ORG charts and other tools to document LinuxMCE, ...

Yes, i found something i can help with. Have some experency with making flowdiagram's. So ORG (i hope it stends for organisation?) charts are no problem for me. Tell me what te make and i can try to make it.

Niels v/d Spek

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 03:21:33 pm »
1) Find someone who has knows the FOSS world well, has some clout in the FOSS community, and has some free time, and who can act as a community liason to start building a team.

what is FOSS?

Free/Open Source Software.

-Thom

mdarmistead

• View Profile
what is FOSS?
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 03:46:47 pm »
Niels,
Here's the opening paragraphs from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSS

"From the early 90s onward, alternative terms for free software have come into common use, with much debate in the free software community. The term "free software" was coined by Richard Stallman in 1983 when he launched the free software movement. Records of published version of its definition can be found dating back to February 1986. The definition can be summarised as software which the user can use for any purpose, study the source code of, adapt to their needs, and redistribute - modified or unmodified.[1] To avoid the ambiguity of the English word "free" (free as in beer versus free as in speech), and to avoid talking about the impact on freedom of non-free software, people have suggested alternative names.

"Open-source software", "Software Libre", "FLOSS" (Free/Libre/Open-Source Software), and "FOSS" (Free and Open-Source Software) are the most common alternative terms.[2] The most popular of these has been "open-source software".[2]

Users of each of these terms share almost identical licence criteria and development practices, but differ, according to Richard Stallman, in the respective philosophical values. Some people use "libre" (as in free speech) or "gratis" (as in free beer) to avoid the ambiguity of the word "free". However, these terms are mostly used within the free software movement and are slowly spreading. "
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:52:28 pm by mdarmistead »

lucidus.nox

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 03:53:10 pm »
Greetings,

I am new to the project, but have been around plenty of FOSS projects in the past, and while I am no developer I would like to help. I am a systems engineer and have worked with some larger web hosting companies in my time so I would like to see if there is anything I can do to provide this project a nice, permanent home.
    I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of resources this project would need in terms of bandwidth and storage space so that I can look for a solution. It had been mentioned that a true build environment was desired, and the best way to do that would be having a dedicated server somewhere with Xen or OpenVZ and give the devs each a virtual environment. That type of thing isnt free, and it may be more of a long term goal, but its good to have solid plans for growth.
    I would also like to know if there is an IRC channel for the developers yet. If not I would be happy to set that up for and lurk there to keep it open. The early momentum this project has is very encouraging, but it needs to be kept going, and the best way I know for a project like this to do that is to get a solid community built around it (as has been stressed previously in this thread). I am finally getting to the point where I feel more comfortable with the LinuxMCE systems that I have set up so I will also try to do my part by fielding support requests that I can and maybe trying to fix up the wiki here and there.

lucidus.nox

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 01:33:20 pm »
Ok, so i've found a reliable place that may be willing to give us a larger SVN repository but they want to know the total size of the source base that will be hosted there. I really cant seem to find any place to get the current source so if someone (paul?) could send me a message with that info I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
LN

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2007, 04:31:43 pm »
I think the svn isn't that big.  It's probably 300MB if you add the graphics and other stuff to it.  I don't expect the bandwidth load on it will be too high either since it's just devs.

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 10:46:48 am »
I was wandering, if you could just make the diffs from 0704-source-tar-ball public, as long as there is no svn accessible.

That way, the main load for checking out source would be on Bittorrent (for the tar.bz2) and only the diffs would have to be downloaded from a centralized point. And for this, sourceforge should be sufficient for the moment... And developers interessted in working on linuxmce (like myself) could at least checkout the current source-base for their running linuxmce with the updates you made since the major release...

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 01:29:44 pm »
All,

I have a virtual server running and there's enough space left on the HD as well as there are some GB of traffic left. I could set up a repository (SVN) until there is a dedicated server. To do that, I'll need
  • a list of developers with write permissions
  • the current source tree (or maybe an SVN-dump)

I can also set up a TRAC environment for the development, if needed. Unfortunately the server is not powerful enough to allow for a nightly build or something.
The only drawback of that solution is, that I might have to restrict read-only access as well if the traffic increases to much, but I think, chewi's proposal (having the 0704 Revision as a torrent and only get diffs from SVN) is quite a good solution.

What do you  think?

Cheers
/Chriss

edit: I'll be away for vacation during the next week, i.e. I will read the discussion next week  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:31:31 pm by chriss »

rancid_elf

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 12:21:04 pm »
With a bit of luck and time I will be spending some time looking through the code.  There are a few ideas for plugins I would like to write which came from modules I used on meedio.

When I have got to grips with the code base I would love to help in any way I can with anything that needs attention.

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 02:39:49 pm »
hi,

are there any news about the source-code? is there a place where we can download it?

lg
avajon

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 03:34:26 pm »
avajon--

The 0704 source is available as a .torrent currently (and possibly from one or more of the mirrors).  The build process is still fairly complicated, but the source is there.