Author Topic: TV keeps crashing!  (Read 27066 times)

mavitm

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: TV keeps crashing!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:02 pm »
Same problem here. MythTV freezes after a few seconds but runs fine outside LMCE. :-(

Asus M2NPV-VM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
2 GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400
Hauppauge-WinTV-PVR-150
WD 500GB SATA
Antec Fusion V2

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 12:23:42 pm »
Well I have discovered that rewinding live TV only a few seconds after I start watching a channel (such that it is read from the hard disc, and no longer live) prevents crashing, and I can watch TV in LMCE all day.

This is bizzare... what is the difference!?! - 'live tv' is recorded and read the same as tv that was recorded a few seconds before being read, right??

I have yet to install the latest LMCE update, so i'm not sure if this problem has been fixed...
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

scorf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 05:56:17 am »
I have yet to install the latest LMCE update, so i'm not sure if this problem has been fixed...

I have... it hasn't.    ???

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:59:22 am »
I have not had these problems either with the core or the MD. I'm using the HDHomeRun tuner on a gigabit ethernet network and I can watch two simultaneous programs on two separate channels on the two MD's. It can and should work. Now to figure out whats different and causing it to break.

The description suggests inadequate buffering or bandwidth in the system. Or possibly some housekeeping stuff. However it could relate to video driver issues. The new drivers for the 7050 seem to be less that fully stable. (Both the .11 and .19 versions seem to crash both in my experience and per reports on the nv forum.) I'm using the standard issue drivers with OK results even at 1080p on broadcast TV. ATSC 720p and 1080i content. Also I have not had good results with the xxmc driver and use the xv version, set in the admin panel under media directors. (Reload the router to switch.)

You can check the backend log at 192.168.80.1/mythweb.

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 11:28:40 am »
Well I did try increasing the buffer in myth, but this made no change. As for bandwidth, I wouldn't know what to do there!

The video card I have is a 7300GT, using the propertary drivers of LMCE.

Would it be recommended to use the latest driver from nvidia?? Has anyone had any success with this?

Would this problem necessarily be a video driver issue though if myth runs fine outside of LMCE??
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Fiire Remote
UIRT

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »
Well I have experienced this problem using a Nvidia 7200 pci-e card on one system and using the built in card on the recommended ASUS board with onboard Nvidia graphics all with the same result. I have also tried the nv and nvidia drivers that come with linuxmce and the latest drivers from the nvidia site and all seem to give me the same problems.

Regards

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:27 am »
I managed to download and apply the latest update, rebooted and watched TV for more than an hour, untill I decided to experiment with recording. It crashed soon after recording started. And thereafter the problem was back! Even after the recorded show had finished.

My TV card is not natively supported in LMCE (it's a nova-t 500) - I installed the drivers manually and set up through myth.

Anybody with non natively supported card / nova-t 500 NOT having this problem??
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Fiire Remote
UIRT

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 12:20:07 am »
Damn! I was going to get that card on the strength of Totallymaxed's recommendation - he/she said that they are using several of these cards without any issue. Will message directly to see if we can get further comment on it...

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 07:24:31 am »
I managed to download and apply the latest update, rebooted and watched TV for more than an hour, untill I decided to experiment with recording. It crashed soon after recording started. And thereafter the problem was back! Even after the recorded show had finished.

My TV card is not natively supported in LMCE (it's a nova-t 500) - I installed the drivers manually and set up through myth.

Anybody with non natively supported card / nova-t 500 NOT having this problem??

As Colin says we use T-500's and don't see this problem, some of our Core's have 3 x T-500's installed. I'm pretty sure this is a Myth/lmce integration related problem. Look at the other posts here... people are seemingly running Myth directly from KDE without this problem. When they do the same inside lmce they experience problems... but none seem to be using T-500's as far as i can tell. I am pretty sure that this problem is caused by a bug in the lmce/Myth integration... otherwise all those Myth users out there would be complaining big time!
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 04:16:52 pm »
Myth Tv works fine for me outside LMCE! And, for that I agree that it must be a myth/LMCE integration fault. I was just wondering whether LMCE disliked the T-500 card since it is not plug and play, but since totallymaxed doesn't have this problem, then I'm sure the card is fine.

One question though, how did you install the drivers for your T-500??
I followed the howto here ->
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV_Nova-T_500_PCI
Similar to your installation??
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Fiire Remote
UIRT

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »
I am starting to suspect that there are a couple of problems here all displaying very similar symptoms.  Are there also people for which mythtv crashes in KDE (outside LMCE) as well?  If not I guess we can rule out a whole range of possible causes like (among others) drivers/firmware/gfxcard and focus more on what could possibly go wrong with the LMCE integration.

(I don't have this because I can't even get MythTV to lock onto a DVB-T signal, which is obviously a completely unrelated areal problem.)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 06:48:29 pm »
I am running a Nova-T 500 and experiencing this problem, Only in lmce like others running mythv from kde works perfect.

Also this issue only seems to affect my hybrid core. When I watch tele from a media director everything works fine and from the testing I have done although small with media director so far no crashes.

Regards

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 07:50:14 pm »
Thanks, you only have the problem when MythTV is running on the hybrid under LMCE.  I think that might indicate a problem when the back- and frontend are running on the same machine (under LMCE).  Let's see if we can confirm that.

Adding that to the previous question:

Does MythTV work under KDE, but not in LMCE?
Is there anybody that sees this problem on media directors as well?
Has anybody got the capture card in a media director?

I made them bold to stand out more, in the hope that more people will answer so we should be able to at least rule out a few things and with a bit of luck make it easier for the developers to find the cause of this problem.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 07:56:31 pm »
In my case there is no overhead for the tuner card. Also I'm using US Broadcast Digital TV. Its possible that the overhead from the combination of the card driver and LMCE or a memory conflict (never happens) could be to blame. I ran two local channels here and one channel for 10 hours on the core with no problems. But my situation is different. Is there any software video conversion or compression running with that card?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 09:21:46 pm »
Myth Tv works fine for me outside LMCE! And, for that I agree that it must be a myth/LMCE integration fault. I was just wondering whether LMCE disliked the T-500 card since it is not plug and play, but since totallymaxed doesn't have this problem, then I'm sure the card is fine.

One question though, how did you install the drivers for your T-500??
I followed the howto here ->
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV_Nova-T_500_PCI
Similar to your installation??

Well that howto is useful... but everything you need for the T500 is already installed by Kubuntu :-)
You just need to copy the T500 firmware into the following directory /lib/firmware/2.6.20-15-generic/
We use the dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw firmware currently (for us it seems stable)

You do need to add the following line to;
/etc/modprobe.d/options

Add the line below:
options dvb-usb-dib0700 force_lna_activation=1

Then save the changes. This activates the Low Noise Amplifier on the dib0700 chip and improves the sensitivity when receiving TV transmissions.

Thats all there is to it!
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk