Author Topic: No media - pnp doesn't seem to work!  (Read 11710 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
No media - pnp doesn't seem to work!
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:16:33 am »
I have installed 0704 1.1 without any problems (this time!) But when I add a PC to the network, it gets the IP lease and the LMCE discovers it and starts adding it after I confirm I want it to use it. Then after that it seems to be detecting "shares" and asks me if I want to use those. I say yes - I want to use them and provide login and passwords for both the "file server" and then the "file shares". But the "file shares" are clearly the LMCE users and nothing to do with the Windows file shares I want it to connect to. I tried removing it in the admin panel and asked it to use the LMCE default folder structure. But NONE of this seems to make any difference at all - I cannot see any of my video media in the "Video" menu, it is completely empty. I figured it might take some time to catalogue them, esp as it may be connecting to the C$ admin share with all the system files, but it isn't doing anything. I tried sharing the media folder directly so that it could go through all my video and audio folders, again nothing. I managed to get some JPGs appearing under the Pictures menu when I plugged in a thumb drive and told it to use the default, waited for it to create the structure, then moved some pictures into the right location. But I don't seem to be able to get it to even create the folder structure on the remote PC.

Periodically it displays the same messages in the top right that seem to suggest that it is constantly scanning and doing things and this seems to be related to the problem given the messages below - and the message number is now well over 1000!

"Existing device already enabled xxx ....
Done with new device xxx...."

Its supposed to be pnp, but I just don't seem to be able to get it to find any media on my other PC, nor how to direct it to specific shares.... Can anybody suggest what might be wrong, or even how to get it to completely forget this PC (I have deleted all the related Devices in the Admin console and this doesn't seem to have done it as it is re-adding the device but now ignoring the shares) so I can try again and this time choose to use the default folder structure!

Thanks!
Col

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: No media - pnp doesn't seem to work!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:28:12 pm »
In your share:
Check that LMCE did make it's folder structure
public
user1
user2 
and so on

Check for files in:
public/data/video
There should not be any there, but that is where you need to put your videos (move).

Now if you had selected "make all content public" you should have seen the existing media after a cataloguing pause (5-10 minutes).

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 10:37:50 pm »
That's the problem, even when it finds my "Media" share on the PC and I provide login/password credentials it doesn't create any folder structure at all - even after a long time. I have checked and none of the folders already in that share conflict with the names (Public/Home/<usernames>) - I intended to just move the media out of the other folders into the Public folder's subfolders after it had done this.

Secondly - I have checked that the LMCE is showing media at a very simple level by using Windows' Network Neighbourhood and browsing the other way into the LMCE Public folder and copying a test video file onto the Core, locally - then this file appears and plays just fine, so it doesn't appear to be anything to do with the cataloguing or database.

Another thing is, it seems to think it is detecting public/home/<username1>/<username2> on DCEROUTER and keeps asking me to confirm adding these and providing username/password for those as well - I don't understand this, surely that is local to the Core and it should do that without pnp?

Finally, as I say, it is constantly detecting the DCEROUTER and "file server" again and again, with the messages below, and the little log messages appear in the top left corner of the screen ... that can't be right, but it is even displaying repeated messages about the DCEROUTER....

Any other thoughts?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:36:28 pm »
Thought #2
It adds the machine the share is on first.
Then after X amount of time and a bunch of other machines (I got a bit tires there pressing ignore, never ask again for machines that will not be added)
It will start to display "shares", and asks if you want to use the share as (in your case)  a "window share", only after that will it "deploy" it's folder structure.

Make everything public is ok to use if you just have media on the share, the LMCE folder structure is (according to Paul) just to pin point the locations LMCE needs to monitor for media, and not waste time cataloging office documents and spreadsheets etc. etc.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:15:36 pm »
Worked it out - seems it doesn't handle Windows <domain>\<username> syntax very well or the LSA format of .\<username> so it was trying to authenticate against an account that "doesn't exist", in the end I created a new local account and used that instead and everything started working!

Thanks for your help.

Col.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 08:55:54 pm »
Great  ;D

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:24:05 pm »
Worked it out - seems it doesn't handle Windows <domain>\<username> syntax very well or the LSA format of .\<username> so it was trying to authenticate against an account that "doesn't exist", in the end I created a new local account and used that instead and everything started working!

Thanks for your help.

Col.

What do you mean by creating a new user account? On MCE or windows?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:06:09 pm »
On Windows, an LSA local account rather than domain account, specifically for media sharing.

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:05:04 pm »
On Windows, an LSA local account rather than domain account, specifically for media sharing.

Ok thanks. Can you tel me how to make an LSA account

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:41 am »
Sure - I am assuming that your PC is a member of a domain rather than a workgroup... in the home editions, or professional in workgroup mode the entire security model is different.

You need to open Computer Management - under Administrative Tools. Expand the Users & Groups section, then in the Users container, create a new account. Make the account a member of the Administrators local group and give it a decent password.

Away you go...

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:12 am »
Thank you very much for a quick answer. I'm using work group, will this mean that I have to use a domain? If so is how do I sett up a domain?

And another question I can see that you say that I have too enter shell, but how do you exit shell and enter kde?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:37:07 am by nilspils »

llherin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 03:46:10 pm »

Finally, as I say, it is constantly detecting the DCEROUTER and "file server" again and again, with the messages below, and the little log messages appear in the top left corner of the screen ... that can't be right, but it is even displaying repeated messages about the DCEROUTER....

Any other thoughts?

My first post here!  ;D

About the detecting DCE router it was happening ro me as well: I have a single ethernet card configuration (I tried using an USB WLAN stick as internal lan but failed miserably  ???) with double IP configuration.
Eth0 was set to retrieve ip from DHCP server (my adsl modem/router) while eth0:0 in my idea was to be the dhcp server for the internal lan.
Well, was pretty stupid from me to expect that it would have worked! What in truth happened was that eth0 was receiving its IP address from the dhcp server running on eth0:0, so LinuxMCE PnP thought to have detected a new windows share and started asking what to do about it.
I had to go to "my devices" and manually delete the wrong "DCERouter file server" it had found after having  reconfigured my network.
Hope this can help you.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 12:31:56 am »
Thank you very much for a quick answer. I'm using work group, will this mean that I have to use a domain? If so is how do I sett up a domain?

And another question I can see that you say that I have too enter shell, but how do you exit shell and enter kde?

Sorry, can't see the reference to a shell - can you point it out? The process I described doesn't require a shell on either the LMCE or Windows PC...

Col.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 01:11:51 am »
nilspils...you would need to have Windows Server 2003 to set up the domain. i have a reasonable feeling that setting that up and starting an active directory domain controller may be a little over your head. its worth learning if you want to though. your first step would be getting a server to run windows server 2003 on. i believe the way he had it set up that would also be your file server with your shares...i may have misunderstood something though.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 04:58:14 am »
There are Linux options for domain controllers, but I don't really use them so I won't be of much help in setting them up. I just wanted you to know that's an option if you wanted to set up a domain controller on the core.