Author Topic: No media - pnp doesn't seem to work!  (Read 11717 times)

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: No media - pnp doesn't seem to work!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 07:28:19 am »
Thank you very much for a quick answer. I'm using work group, will this mean that I have to use a domain? If so is how do I sett up a domain?

And another question I can see that you say that I have too enter shell, but how do you exit shell and enter kde?

Sorry, can't see the reference to a shell - can you point it out? The process I described doesn't require a shell on either the LMCE or Windows PC...

Col.

Sorry it was a other tread.

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 07:29:52 am »
nilspils...you would need to have Windows Server 2003 to set up the domain. i have a reasonable feeling that setting that up and starting an active directory domain controller may be a little over your head. its worth learning if you want to though. your first step would be getting a server to run windows server 2003 on. i believe the way he had it set up that would also be your file server with your shares...i may have misunderstood something though.

This is getting over my head. Is ther not a way to shear the windows shears with out creating a LSA account?

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 07:34:18 am »
Yes, you don't need a domain controller to share files from Windows. All you have to do is right click on whatever you want to share from Windows, click on sharing and security, and share it. LinuxMCE will detect the share.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:30 am »
Nilspils

I think the whole problem comes about when using a domain...
You should therefore NOT add a domain.
If you use a normal home network/workgroup you should be fine, as all users in that system is really local users and therefore woun't get the 
(domain)/(user) setup
I don't have a domain controller either, that is why I didn't get the actual problem.

(And why would anyone want to set up a Windows 2003 server to make a Linux application work?!)

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 05:09:35 pm »
Wel tanks fore all your help. Now on the windows machine I have shared the E drive. No I have found 4 new folders in this drive, Public, user 1, user 2, and user 3. Under each of these folders ther are a folder named data, and under this there is 4 new folders named audio video picture and documents.  So I copyed some picture from my windows machine and pasted them in the folder picture. Then I went in to the mce and browsed to the folder home/public/data/picture/windows share:E [106] and found the picture I copyed. So now I seems ok, but when I go in to the orbiter ( I thin it is named orbiter the window where I have a line at the bootom where I can pick media the picture.) And pres media then picture I get up 2 folders Flicker and Windows share E: . So I pick Windows share E: and it is emty.

1.What am I doing wrong?
2.Do I have to manually copy the files that I want to have on the mce ore can the core/hybrid scan the windows share fore files?
3.I see that in the flicker folder the picture is named xx.jpg.tnj, do I have to rename all my pictures?
4.I also copyed some videos to the folder public/data/video and I can find them but no thumbnails. Do I have to make some thumbnails for each of the videos? And if so is there a easy way to do this?
5. When I press the media butten and then manage Drives I get up 3 drives but they are all empty. Why?

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 05:19:38 pm »
Pictures do not work.  This has been a issue for quite sometime with Pluto and and with LinuxMCE.  Flickr is separate and has nothing to do with the pictures.  I would try it with an audio file to see if you have everything up correctly. 

Thanks,
Rob

nilspils

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 07:15:22 pm »
Thanks for the answer. Will try it.
But do I have to copy files frome win to mce, isent it suposed to scan the share on the file server for media?

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 07:39:03 am »
Pictures worked fine for me... It just took a while for the updatemedia daemon to find the files and add them to the database. This is normal. Your can force it to scan a folder at any time by going to the admin site, choosing Files & Media->Media Files sync, select the folder to scan, and then click re-synchronize. I (and probably others) posted more thorough explanations of this in other posts.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 12:46:30 pm »
Thanks for the answer. Will try it.
But do I have to copy files frome win to mce, isent it suposed to scan the share on the file server for media?
Hei igjen Nils
Yes, it will add all media automatically IF:
You chose the "make all content public", which is not recommended as you will then be sharing your whole E disk on the network, and the updater must go trough (possibly) a bunch of files that are not media. Windows system files, program files... anything you have on E

If you chose the "use the LMCE structure" then all media added to the appropriate folders will be detected, but nothing else. This is to save your network from bogging down with an update routine that will never find much of use anyway.
If on the other hand your E share ONLY has media you can use the "make all content public", but again, you will not be able to "reserve" media from other users.

So moving the media to the LMCE folders makes sense