Author Topic: VIA EPIA EX15000G Mainboard anyone tried?  (Read 13411 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: VIA EPIA EX15000G Mainboard anyone tried?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 10:00:05 am »
So as ever you are free to not buy the Fiire hardware... its your choice.

Yeah I think we get that part by now, excuse me for trying to make an informed decision, in spite of the "wealth of available information" on their products. :P

Having said that, the hardware HD playback is a huge plus for this purpose and from what I understand you can not do that on either ATI or Nvidia cards without closed drivers. With this board, you can and do it with open drivers and even better then with an ATI or Nvidia card with the closed drivers. If you choose to use the closed drivers then you will also get the 3d acceleration, but with the added headache of trying to actually get the driver for the kernel/X version you are running.

That is interesting, what a shame VIA decided to keep the proper drivers to themselves.  I really hope they change their mind and decide that they actually want to sell their hardware.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:04:54 am by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: VIA EPIA EX15000G Mainboard anyone tried?
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:49 am »
My take is that when I buy hardware from a company I expect them to supply me with working drivers if such drivers exists for my preferred operating system.
So if I buy a VIA mother board I expect the CD with drivers to come with it, for all operating systems they have a driver for.
I don't really care if the driver is completely open source or not as long as it works for my purchased product, accompanies the product and is made available to download.

Hmmmm, I guess it's just like the nvidia drivers.
I buy nvidia because of their support for my operating system.