Author Topic: Direction for Development  (Read 3383 times)

countzer0

• View Profile
Direction for Development
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:30:57 pm »
We need to get community development started!  It seems everyone is working on their own directions and as far as i can see no-one has been able to build this beast from source.

I see niche issues being and solved daily here in the forums but none of these new developments are making their way into the codebase.

I for one have been mucking with mythtv for the last several months.  Others have been working hard on remote support etc.

I think the best way to get started is to start a repo for all things source including the sources for things that are realeased between official releases (For instance this new Mythtv update).  For one the update doesnt seem to be online, and where are the sources for this package?

How are companies like Fiire selling units that wont get guide info?  Are they getting updates before us?  Are they contributing their work back to the project?  Maybe im missing something here but i would think TV is a big part of a "Media Center".

I understand  this is alot of work for 1 man to do, however it is a lot of work becuase even if others wanted to help they cant.  I understand there are certain priorites for development, but it would seem since we have only one major developer and he receives contributions from fiire and the like, that priorities are going to making these commercial products work out of the box.  This is fine, but if there were more developers i feel work would be put towards other areas.

I dont mean this to be inflamitory and i appreciate all the work that has been put in so far, however without a CURRENT source repo i dont see being able to start any sort of community development.

This being said, I think LMCE has alot of potential an i as well as many others im sure would love to get to work on making this project grow.

I would like to offer my services to run a REPO for this project.
I can maintain and manage the server for the first few months but would appreciate
donations to help pay for bandwidth and hardware costs.
We could even make this a build server.

The first step as i see it would be to get a CURRENT full source tree that we can compile!
The we can decide if we would like SVN or CVS, FTP, shell access, etc for the developers.  This server should also include private forums for the developers as well as perhaps IRC for interactive communication.

Let me know what you guys think.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Direction for Development
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:31:27 am »
I are currently discussing this in the thread marked "All Developers Please Read"... Please post your comments there so it's all in one place.