Author Topic: Westinghouse LCD TV Service Port... USB? a cable for it?  (Read 20010 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Westinghouse LCD TV Service Port... USB? a cable for it?
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »
I have a Service port on my Westinghouse 26" LCD TV.. It looks exactly like a USB port, but it is the flat port, instead of the square port needed to interface to a computer. Is there a cable that I could get to be able to plug into this port? I am interested to see if I can send codes to the TV to power it on and off (at the very least, hopefully it exposes as a serial driver that I can throw commands to.)

anybody know of such a cable?

-Thom

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Westinghouse LCD TV Service Port... USB? a cable for it?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:51:18 am »
A usb bridge cable would connect it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work...

ouie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 04:22:20 am »
I have a 42 inch westinghouse model and contacted the company asking the very same thing. The official stance is that the USB port is for firmware upgrade. ( Which I have finished..it solved a locking issue) and NOTHING else is to be plugged into that port. Now customer service has been known to be inaccurate so you can give it a shot at your own risk and report back if your really curious.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

khonshu

• View Profile
    • AndyCrawford.info
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 03:19:03 am »
Yea, I believe that would be the right cable for you.  But like he said, it's a toss-up weather it would work for control or not.

jtgamble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:03:53 am »
Its for firmware updates and I don't actually think it will do anything else. If you're really curious I'd head over to the AVS forums and ask the Westinghouse owners on the LCD forums. They've probably done extensive testing of some kind and will probably be able to tell you if it can do anything except accept new firmware.