Author Topic: adding external channel changer (firewire) for cable box.  (Read 3984 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
adding external channel changer (firewire) for cable box.
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:47:33 pm »
I have a program that can change the channel on my Motorola DCT6200 cable box over the firewire. What direction should I go in to adapt it into the DCE system so that it will work inside Pluto/LMCE?

-Thom

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: adding external channel changer (firewire) for cable box.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:20:36 am »
You would have to configure that in mythtv-setup. Although that channel changer that you mentioned does not work with the new boxes, be warned...

Practically no one uses that channel changer anymore as the firewire channel change code has been merged into mythtv and the version integrated into mythtv works with the newer boxes as well. The only problem is that the integrated version only works when capturing video via firewire, which is rather unstable...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:00:02 am »
i understand, but would like to integrate this functionality into LinuxMCE itself so that LinuxMCE can send messages to change the channels even in the LiveTV mode.. or if the cable box is integrated into an AV reciever etc.. just to make things more complete, as an alternative to dangling off a UIRT.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:02:33 am »
also i do understand the issues behind 6200ch with the newer boxes. I got lucky and I have a box that can use it just fine.

I'm needing it because i need it to be able to change channels in spite of not using the firewire to transfer data because I know the firewire transfer mode is unstable, I spent the last 6 months fighting with it, and it comes down to some really buggy DTCP implementation inside the 6200 and the fact that mythtv doesn't know how to slam the thing back into submission without running firewire_tester to purge the entire firewire buss and force it into broadcast mode again.

-Thom