Author Topic: Totally Lost on Installation  (Read 3945 times)

Crispin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Totally Lost on Installation
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »
Hi Folks,

After having many frustrations with Vista and MCE, I decided to try LinuxMCE out.
Now being a total linux noob, this has proved even more frustrating.

I have read the wiki, downloaded the Linux MCE CD and that's as far as I have got.
After eventually finding the mce-launcher file on some site, I ran it. Gave me plenty errors. Package not found was the most common.

Not sure if i am being extra stupid but i am failing badly. The install wiki is vague to say the least. Most of the links to download the files and dvd are broken.
To be honest, after a whole day, I am no further than i was in the beginning. Vista is not looking to bad at the moment...

Are there any good guides on how to install this? Lets face it, everyone starts off a noob. I've been around PC's, as a career, for about 12 years now and am rather advanced (if I may say so myself) and I find this process far to involved to be useful. A single file called setup.exe would be far better at getting the masses to use LinuxMCE don't you think?

Anyway, if anyone can point to a easy to follow guide, I will preserve as I actually detest Vista.

Thanks.

Crispin

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Lost on Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 04:46:35 pm »
i know nothing about linux but i also am willing to learn and look stuff up. i havent had any trouble getting mine set up. you installed kubuntu 0704 right? did you think about maybe getting the linuxmce install dvd? do you have linuxmce 0704? there should have been two cds with that. im not sure what you mean by you found the linuxmce launcher file on some site....what launcher file and what site? it should be on the cd you downloaded.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Crispin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:23:06 pm »
Yup, Installed KUbuntu 7.04 and downloaded, only one iso, from http://www.robogoat.com/rampage/linuxmce/linuxmce-1.0-packages.iso as found in the wiki. Would these be the two files that are mentioned everywhere? I cannot find two iso's only relating to MCE.

As for the installer file, I downloaded mce-installer_1.0.0-1_i386.deb.

So, I am about to go through this again and here's the way I will do it. Correct me if I have a wrong step.

Reinstall KUbuntu (7.04) and no special changes or anything.
Insert CD made from above image.
Run mce-installer_1.0.0-1_i386.deb from USB drive.
Look for new shortcut on desktop and run that.

That is how I interpret the install process based on what I have read. Anything I am doing wrong? Obviously I am doing something wrong as it will not work....

Thanks for the help.

Maybe when I actually get this right I can update the wiki so noobs like me can get it right? :)

Cheers,
Crispin

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:40:48 pm »
are you using this?

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Download_Instructions

it really is explained how to do it. it even says it comes on two CDs. do you use bit torrent? you are downloading the 1.0 CDs? that is totally wrong....if you use bit torrent then use this to download the linuxmce dvd install.

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3764648/LinuxMCE_0704_Quick_Install_DVD.iso.3764648.TPB.torrent
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:43:20 pm by teedge77 »
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Crispin

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:01:24 pm »
No, I only have one CD. Where do I get two? The download section is less than obvious about CD one and CD 2. So I downloaded the only iso there is...
Busy with the torrent now. However, why only a torrent? I am getting a speed of 30kb/s which ummm, I can get via dialup. Makes the 22MB connection I got seem a waste of time... Is there not an iso somewhere?

The error I am getting when trying to run the installer is "could  not find gksu executable"

So, in the mean time, I am downloading both the CD's and DVD at a whopping 50KB/s now. Will check back in a couple weeks...

This is getting frustrating now. I _really_ want to get this working but now it's getting silly. :(

Cheers,
Crispin

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:31:18 pm »
if youre frustrated now you might as well quit. it may actually take some work on your part to get everything configured and going. not sure youre up for it. 0704 is what you want so your error doesnt matter at all. youre using the wrong version. once you get the right stuff let us know because you will need help getting stuff set up im sure.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

GoManutd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:32:34 pm »
Check out my thread regarding install issues...

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2207.0

I ran into many problems with the install and most of your questions are probably answered there...

Read the entire thread first.