Author Topic: NVIDIA Drivers too old!  (Read 3965 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
NVIDIA Drivers too old!
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:00:04 pm »
The NVIDIA drivers that ship with Pluto/LinuxMCE are too old to deal with my NVIDIA 8500GT card. I can't use any other cards because I do not have AGP slots, so it's not like I can just cram a 6xxx or 7xxx series card in the slot....

Whenever I try to install the vendor drivers, the CleanupVideo script that's part of the Start_X_wrapper (a very clever script btw), basically completely trashes my setup. So I commented it out, however, this still masks the problem that there ARE those of us building new machines that are using very new hardware, that needs to be dealt with....

Paul: is there a way to (a) build a replacement nvidia driver deb so that the pluto stuff will use it (b) modify the pluto scripts to accept my driver selection, or (c) just ignore it all entirely and let me do my #@)$#@)$@# configuring? I have a set of modelines etc that perfectly set this TV to 1366x768 which I spent WEEKS tuning and configuring to the exact timing of my TV....

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA Drivers too old!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:34:43 pm »
The NVIDIA drivers that ship with Pluto/LinuxMCE are too old to deal with my NVIDIA 8500GT card. I can't use any other cards because I do not have AGP slots, so it's not like I can just cram a 6xxx or 7xxx series card in the slot....

Whenever I try to install the vendor drivers, the CleanupVideo script that's part of the Start_X_wrapper (a very clever script btw), basically completely trashes my setup. So I commented it out, however, this still masks the problem that there ARE those of us building new machines that are using very new hardware, that needs to be dealt with....

Paul: is there a way to (a) build a replacement nvidia driver deb so that the pluto stuff will use it (b) modify the pluto scripts to accept my driver selection, or (c) just ignore it all entirely and let me do my #@)$#@)$@# configuring? I have a set of modelines etc that perfectly set this TV to 1366x768 which I spent WEEKS tuning and configuring to the exact timing of my TV....

-Thom

Well my name isn't Paul, but I think you'll find the Display Drivers wiki page usefull.  And last time I looked there were PCIe versions of the 6xxx cards available. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:20:42 pm »
well, when I install the vendor drivers, CleanupVideo totally mucks with my working xorg.conf file that I copied over, and re-sets the card to 'vesa'

every time I try to change it, CleanupVideo changes it back... I commented out CleanupVideo from the Start_X_Wrapper, and it stop messing with it, but I get other bizarre problems.

I have since decided to go back and use my built in intel chipset, and am trying an install process now, although I know i will have to replace xorg-xserver-i810 with xorg-xserver-intel to get my 1366x768 resolution (and install 915resolution into the /etc/rc.local)

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 01:33:49 am »
Have you tried setting "Video Card" to Standard Video Card in the web-admin under Media Directors?  I'm not sure but I suspect that might make it easier to do manual setup.  Just let the AVWizard and all do their thing, then install the drivers you want and update the xorg.conf bit by bit.  Anyway that's my approach, I had similar experience to yours with hacking the bootscripts like that, it was a bit like taking the bottom can out of a stack. ;)

One of the major problems in my opinion is that the installation/setup/system is geared to much towards certain hardware. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:02:17 pm »
I managed to get it all to work by installing the vendor drivers first, then basically just letting the avwizard do its thing (I had to change to component output), and at the end of it, replace nv with nvidia..and it worked just fine.. yeah, I'm learning not to circument the boot scripts, very quickly... although I am very quickly learning how this whole system is put together.. it's quite brilliant really...

-Thom