Author Topic: LinuxMCE Min. Requirements  (Read 11907 times)

jcampbe

• First post!
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE Min. Requirements
« on: June 29, 2007, 07:57:18 am »
Very simple question... to support all of the "Core" functions what would be the Minimum Requirements (hardware wise)? and for Media Directors?

(Basically what can i get away with?)

-jcampbe

LoSt

• View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Min. Requirements
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:27 pm »
Good topic. Looks like everybody else has the same question, see there's close to 2k reads and no replies yet.

I'm just curious about what graphics card to use.

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:02:33 pm »
hello,

the demo video text has a good description:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Video

Core: "The computer consisted of an ASUS m2npv-vm motherboard BIOS version 0901, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU, 80GB hard drive, Realtek 8139 as the 2nd network card, 1GB RAM, generic CD/DVD, keyboard used only to to install"

MD same mobo with only the one built-in NIC, 512kb RAM & less CPU is ok.

Anyone know what mobos are in the fiire products?  http://www.fiire.com

joseph

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:55:56 am »
The better the machine at the core, the better performance you'll get.
But I did try it on a "yard sale HP VL420" as a Hybrid, and so far the performance has been "satisfactory".
The HP is a 1.7GHz, 384MB RAM (PC133), ATI Rage fury 128 pro (changed now to GF6200 for UI 2).

So if you have an old machine around you can install it and learn the steps on it before committing to a major investment.
But like I said, the better the machine, the better the performance. So basically what you are asking is "what are MY minimum requirements?"

majkaj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 10:33:11 pm »
I installed LMCE on my old computer this last weekend... AMD 1300Mhz, 756meg ram, 250 Gig PATA hard drive, Nvidia 6800 video card, Haup 250 TV card.    Installing was slow...slow...slow.  Took about 3 1/2 hours to install everything (I used the two CD install and not the DVD install).  Now that it is running, performance is okay.  Audio files play just fine, I can rip my DVDs to disk.. that takes about 25 minutes.  I can watch the ripped DVDs no problem.  I can watch live TV and record TV.  So, the install was slow but actual use if very useable.  I am mildly impressed that such a low spec computer can work as a core machine and as a media director.

Mike

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:50:00 am »
I still use the 1.7GHz as a Core, upgraded to 768MB RAM from other machines I had around.
The Core/Hybrid works ok serving three different MDs (two network booted and one local LMCE install) pluss itself with video (DIVX, NTSC 640*480), but I found it would go to it's knees if I tried to use the "same media in every MD" (click on media), but as long as I view different media in every MD it's quite ok, and that is indeed impressive.
One of the MDs was even a PII 400MHz I am planning to use for audio only, and that works very well, but video playback is choppy at best.

I do think what is "your minimum reqs" still is the defining notion