Author Topic: Linux MCE documentation  (Read 3556 times)

jaybird283

• View Profile
Linux MCE documentation
« on: August 25, 2007, 08:46:40 pm »
I recently found out about LinuxMCE and i believe that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It seems that it is the the software that we have all been waiting for. (However), as with many great open source apps, the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. (at least that i how i feel) does anyone agree??? Vote now and see what other users say about the documentation for the greatest Media Center software to date.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE documentation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:22:14 pm »
I recently found out about LinuxMCE and i believe that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It seems that it is the the software that we have all been waiting for. (However), as with many great open source apps, the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. (at least that i how i feel) does anyone agree??? Vote now and see what other users say about the documentation for the greatest Media Center software to date.

You forgot the "I like to moan about it, but can't be bothered to edit the wiki myself" option. :P 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:51:48 am »
Although, true, it is in a very large way the responsibility of the community (this includes the USERS) to maintain the documentation, it is important to understand its current state.

Right now LinuxMCE's documentation is scarce in certain areas, but that is to be expected as this project is only a few months old!

One thing, it's ridicules to think that the users looking for the information would be the same user that adds it prior to looking for it! This means the documentation has to be there before the user realizes he/she needs it. On the flip-side, however, when a user figures out how to do something that isn't documented yet that user should be EXPECTED to add it to the wiki or a forum post or something. I think for the most part that's being done though. It just takes time...

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:30:36 am »
Just pointing out a couple of things...

The linuxMCE project may only be a couple of months old, but the code that it is running has been developed over many years under the guise of the PlutoHome project. The code and documentation was copied over(forked) to form this project, effectively with PlutoHome gobally replaced with linuxMCE.

So given that, the documentation is in fact quite scarce and lacking, I know I have been frustrated with it.

The only way it will improve in this project though is from the user base. So as Zaerc hinted at - if you can't find something then add it. I think that the best mechinism for this is to start a forum thread to get input from others and if and when that thread reaches a conclusion, summarise it and post it on the wiki.

Just my comments
Darren

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:24:02 pm »
You forgot the "I like to moan about it, but can't be bothered to edit the wiki myself" option. :P 
I have to say I agree to this one.
Also, if you do read what you are supposed to read on the Wiki, installation is quite manageable, but then again, I have used Linux for a full three or four weeks now...