Author Topic: CANBUS Protocol  (Read 4172 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
CANBUS Protocol
« on: August 12, 2005, 06:25:03 am »
Hi,

I have an automation system called Noemon which runs the CANBUS protocol. is there any support for this protocol or could i use a standard serial protocol with a usb to canbus interface. Is this somehting that could be put in some kind of whis list??

Mike

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
CANBUS Protocol
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:18:53 pm »
Although our GSD device allows non-programmers to add support for new devices, our staff will be happy to do it for you. If you have a device that we don't presently support, like a lighting control system, you can setup Pluto, connect the device to your Core, and then contact us with the make & model. We'll setup a time for one of our programmers to add the device. There's a remote assistance feature you enable in Pluto Admin on the Wizard, Security, Outside Access. This lets our programmer log in to your Core to test the new software driver against your equipment so that we don't need physical access to it. If you'd like to add the new device driver yourself you have 2 choices:

1. Our "Generic Serial Device" module (GSD) is designed for the thousands of devices that are controlled over RS232 and Ethernet. It allows a Pluto driver to be added using a point-and-click, fill-in-the-blanks interface. Basic protocols can be implemented with no programming at all. For more complicated tasks GSD embeds the Ruby language. Ruby is a high-level interpreted language with flexible string handling, like Perl, but the syntax is simpler. The protocol and embedded Ruby for GSD devices is stored in the database and automatically synchronized with all other Pluto systems as long as you leave checked the "Share my IR codes and GSD device" box on the A/V Equipment wizard. So there's no compiling and no code to check in. GSD devices that control a/v equipment, lighting, etc., can be done in as little as an hour or two, almost never more than a day for complex protocols. Click here for details and instructions.

2. For more complex devices, like a software media player, which require low-level access to the PC's hardware, then you'll need a traditional DCE device can be created in C++. We have code generators that automate the process of getting started and build a ready-to-compile Windows & Linux project with stubs for the programmer to implement. See the DCE programmer's guide for instructions and a tutorial.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Canbus Protocol
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:14:42 pm »
Hi,

What do I need to supply you to add the protocol, how do you know how the protocol communicates and how your system will communicate with it.

The device does have a raw serial port but I need to either make up an rs232 interface or I can use a serial port to CANBUS interface adapter connected to the bus, what is the preferred way for your programmers for me to connect my equipment.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
CANBUS Protocol
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:12:35 pm »
You would connect it with the rs232 interface and be sure it's all hooked up and everything works.  Then send an email to support@plutohome.com with as much information as you have about the system, including the makes/models and web pages.  We will assign someone (we're actually backed up at the moment, so be patient) and they contact you.  They will review the protocol and write a basic driver.  Then they'll ask you to turn on remote assistance so they can test that it sends/receives the commands correctly, and lastly they'll ask you to visually confirm that it's working.

Normally drivers like that take a day or two depending on the complexity of the system--we only need your help at the end for the visual confirmation, and in the beginning to be sure we understand you hooked it all up.