Author Topic: Starting CORE software automatically. Beta1.1  (Read 15735 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Starting CORE software automatically. Beta1.1
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 04:44:39 am »
Hello,
       I installed LinuxMCE 1.1 BETA 2 successfully, booting to CORE.

The problem is: If I check the 'AutoStart CORE' box & save settings
          - the setting doesn't stick, i.e. when I reboot the CORE the setting reverts
        to the un-checked state and the CORE doesn't AutoStart.

Anybody familiar with this behaviour or have a solution ?

By the way, this is my fourth install - so far the most successful !

Yes I have run into that one as well, you can change that setting by checking the box and saving, then simply close the window, don't worry it should pop up again after a couple of seconds and then start automaticly.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

ckoester

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 11:15:44 pm »
I installed the new beta version and set it up to boot into LMCE core.  Now I cannot get into a KDE desktop!

The buttons work to take me to the LMCE launch manager, but I cannot get to the entire KDE desktop. 

I tried to CTRL + ALT + F2, becoming root, and running KDE at the command line.  It starts to load but then just hangs.

I'm almost ready to reinstall to fix this, which is disappointing considering the install time....

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 04:09:16 pm »
I installed the new beta version and set it up to boot into LMCE core.  Now I cannot get into a KDE desktop!

The buttons work to take me to the LMCE launch manager, but I cannot get to the entire KDE desktop. 

I tried to CTRL + ALT + F2, becoming root, and running KDE at the command line.  It starts to load but then just hangs.

I'm almost ready to reinstall to fix this, which is disappointing considering the install time....

By "new beta" you mean RC1?

I usually do this from the command line: "DISPLAY=:0 xterm" that should give you an xterm from which you can start the apps you want manually, it's far from ideal but it works.
-- Anonymous

sulin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 09:30:34 am »
Thanks Zaerc - I just tried closing the window; and it worked great !

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 04:39:41 pm »
How To Start The Core Software automatically at boot:

First: Ubuntu/Kubuntu doesn't use anymore the System-V init  process, instead it uses upstart, more info on: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
Second: The LMCE config file is: /etc/pluto.conf . Here you can configure if you what to automatically start the core and/or the orbiter:

AutostartCore=0 : the CORE will not automatically start after Launch Manager starts
                               =1 : the CORE will automatically start after Launch Manager starts
   equivalent with the "Autostart CORE" check box from the Launch Manager

AutostartMedia=0 : the Orbiter will not automatically start after Launch Manager starts
                                =1 : the Orbiter will automatically start after Launch Manager starts
   equivalent with the "Autostart Media Station" check box from the Launch Manager

Third:
A.How to change from: "Primary used as PC -- KDE starts by default" to "A dedicated LMCE System - You can start KDE when you need
it"
Step0: Open a console (ALT+CTRL+F2), login, go root (sudo su - and your password when asked)
Step1: modify AutostartCore=1 option in /etc/pluto.conf file
          nano /etc/pluto.conf
Step2: rename /etc/init.d/kdm to /etc/init.d/kdm.saved
          mv /etc/init.d/kdm /etc/init.d/kdm.saved
Step3.1: create pluto file in /etc/event.d
          nano /etc/event.d/pluto
and write this line in it:

start on runlevel 2

stop on shutdown
stop on runlevel 3
stop on runlevel 4
stop on runlevel 5

script
/usr/pluto/bin/Startup_Core-Hybrid.sh
end script

Step3.2: Save it and set 644 rights on it
      CTRL+O , Enter, CTRL+X (in nano) ,
      then in console:
      chmod 644 /etc/event.d/pluto

Step4: Reboot your PC

B.How to change from: "A dedicated LMCE System - You can start KDE when you need it" to "Primary used as PC -- KDE starts by default"

Step0: Open a console (ALT+CTRL+F2), login, go root (sudo su - and your password when asked)

Step1: rename /etc/init.d/kdm.saved to /etc/init.d/kdm
          mv /etc/init.d/kdm.saved /etc/init.d/kdm

Step2: delete the pluto file from /etc/event.d
          rm /etc/event.d/pluto

Step3: Reboot your PC

Ok, the above doesn't work without modification..

The options mentioned in pluto.conf aren't there, so, you have to add them, not just change them.
The actual command to run is /usr/pluto/bin/StartCoreServices.sh since the other one starts the graphical launch wizard.  That seems to startup the core service as I want.

The other script that should be made, is one that calls StopCoreServices.sh on shutdown.

Bill

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 09:12:57 pm »

Ok, the above doesn't work without modification..

The options mentioned in pluto.conf aren't there, so, you have to add them, not just change them.
The actual command to run is /usr/pluto/bin/StartCoreServices.sh since the other one starts the graphical launch wizard.  That seems to startup the core service as I want.

The other script that should be made, is one that calls StopCoreServices.sh on shutdown.

Bill

StartCoreServices.sh will not start all the devices on the system.  See also: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core.  Some of the instructions you refered to seem out of sync with LMCE-1.1 0704 as well. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:22:40 pm by Zaerc »
-- Anonymous

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 04:42:13 am »

StartCoreServices.sh will not start all the devices on the system.  See also: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core.  Some of the instructions you refered to seem out of sync with LMCE-1.1 0704 as well. 

That's interesting... According to what I can determine from the source to the launcher wizard I have, all it does is call the StartCoreServices.sh..

Of course, I haven't updated the source or system since Beta2 which answers your second part, I'm not running 0704.  Is there an upgrade path from 1.1-Beta2?

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 06:10:56 am »
No there isn't a clean upgrade path, but there is a workaround. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Backup_and_Restore

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 04:34:57 pm »
That's interesting... According to what I can determine from the source to the launcher wizard I have, all it does is call the StartCoreServices.sh..

Of course, I haven't updated the source or system since Beta2 which answers your second part, I'm not running 0704.  Is there an upgrade path from 1.1-Beta2?

Well I haven't tested it extensively, but it seemed to me that several devices like the gc100 and CM11 weren't started until after I opened the launchmanager, I could be wrong of course. 

So far I have only briefly looked at the launch-manager source, I was looking for an easy way to turn off the "Stop Core Services" buttons (like it is on a Media Director).  I suspect the launch-manager might instruct the DCERouter to spawn these devices, but for now that is purely speculation.
-- Anonymous