Author Topic: Hardware Pre-install Check  (Read 3397 times)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Hardware Pre-install Check
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:22:22 pm »
Running a check on the installed hardware to verify support by linuxmce. Something that says you have this and this and its going to work very easily. This was found and we arent sure what it is ...support may be on the way or it may not work well at all ever. Something similar to the vista rating system maybe...idk. Maybe checking to see what hardware goes with what category.....

Video: nVidia 8600 GT videocard
Sound: Creative Audigy
Network: undetermined
DVR: undetermined

something like that....but..of course..something better ;)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

GoManutd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware Pre-install Check
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 03:03:37 am »
Let me add to this...

Not only is a hardware check incredibly useful, but it would also be useful to have a test of the video as part of the install process that allows the user to back out, try a different option, etc. would ease installation.  Having this done before the install starts would prevent black screens of death on reboot, etc.

Having the installer separate from the ISO would be very, very useful and would prevent folks (myself included) from using the wrong one.

Having the version numbers of LinuxMCE AND the corresponding installer somehow match, e.g. at least major release version, would avoid confusion.

Provide two install types on the DVD quick install, say a common and custom, where a custom install would allow you to do stuff like configure the network and choose whether to run DHCP...

Provide an easy mechanism to add tuner card firmware to the system so it can recognize cards, like my WinTV PVR 350 :)

Sorry if this feels like a rant, but I've been trying for the past week or so to get this working - it's too cool not to use!

They'll be more probably :)