AMD Athlon XP 1500+
nVIDIA GForce 6200
Hauppauge PVR 150
AverMedia HDTV Wonder
Motherboard: Soyo Dragon Ultra KT333
THis weekend I decided to migrate from Gentoo w/ MythTV to the Linux MCE setup.
1) Keep It Simple first and use a single partition. I formatted the drive as ext3.
2) installed KUbuntu Feisty (7.04)
3) Insert Linux MCE CD 1 and let it do its thing.
4) Insert Linux MCE CD 2 and let it do its thing.
5) Somewhere in the mix the installer asked two significant questions:
a) Would you like me to fetch and install the non-oss NVidia Drivers and install them? I answered Yes and all is well. The computer rebooted.
b) Will you use this as a Desktop or a dedicated MCE box? My answer was to use it as a dedicated MCE box.
5) Insert KUbuntu Live CD again.
6) Reboot computer.
After this completely fresh install the computer comes up and tries go to an X Display but I get nothing but a blank screen. So Ctr-Alt-F1 and log in with my mythpvr user and startx.
I start LinuxMCE from within the desktop and after n seconds my computer just locks up. Keep in mind I haven't even attempted to invoke the use of my HD card or my Hauppauge DVR.
It would be easy to chalk this up as beng ancient hardware (CPU, RAM, Motherboard), but this worked with my previous setup.