Author Topic: kubuntu + wine + powerdvd ultra  (Read 4563 times)

kimnach

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
kubuntu + wine + powerdvd ultra
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:19:25 am »
i've looked through the forum and this question hasn't been addressed.

because my htpc drive is in for replacement, i decided to play around with linuxmce with the hope that i can get my lite-on lh-2b1s (blu-ray) to work under linux by using wine.

tonight i installed lmce 0704, but not yet configured it, and updated the video driver for my sapphire x1600 pro hdmi card.

before proceeding, is the linux + wine + powerdvd ultra + anydvd solution worth attacking?  has anyone tried this? the lack of blu-ray support--that is just insert the disk and play without ripping the disk first--is the only reason i've stayed away from linux(mce).

thanks,
greg

Laughing Man

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: kubuntu + wine + powerdvd ultra
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:09:36 am »
Using the Wine database (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1822) it seems PowerDVD isn't that well supported under Wine (some have it working some don't). It also seems to differ depending on the version people are using. I couldn't find any entries in the database for AnyDVD as well.

Though I do remember reading someone trying to get this combination working on the Ubuntu forums (though I never followed up and I can't seem to find the post anymore).

Is using a VMware session out of the question? Is the Blu-Ray playback requirements to heavy for it?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: kubuntu + wine + powerdvd ultra
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:39:38 am »
... the lack of blu-ray support--that is just insert the disk and play without ripping the disk first--is the only reason i've stayed away from linux(mce)...

That's a funny coincidence, I stay away from blu-ray for the exact same reason. ;) 

If I were you I'd try my luck on kubuntu first and see if it can be made to work there.  Integrating it with LMCE will probably not be very easy.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous