Author Topic: non-"micro ATX" ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo - with more PCI slots for core  (Read 3322 times)

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hello,

Finding the ASUS M2NPV-VM known-compatible mobo has been a godsend after messing with pluto for a year with limited success.  The "video" text on the wiki should be required reading for anyone insterested in lmce or pluto.

One drawback to the menpv-vm is that it has only two PCI slots.  Not a problem in the mds, but in the core, you add one gig ethernet card and one WinTV-PVR-150 MCE and that's it.

I appreciate your suggestions on known-compatible ATX mobos with more PCI slots.

thanks,
joseph

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: non-"micro ATX" ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo - with more PCI slots for core
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:48:00 am »
You can free a PCI slot with a PCIE nic. The board has 1 16 lane PCIE slot and one single lane PCIE slot. Overkill but it works if you need two nics. Its also possible to use the single nic setup to free the slot. Or use a tuner card in a different box. Myth doesn't care which box the tuner is in as long as the box is on.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:24:50 pm »
Hi,

I'm also looking for good mobo with many pci slots. Currently I'm running Asus mobo with Mobile Pentium Adapter, but would need some upgrade.

But, I have 5 pci slots, and would need one more to be sure to fill all the cards...

Let me explain :
- one 4xbt878 video surveillance
- extra NIC for local LAN
- Hauppauge PVR 500
- ISDN line interface card
- extra sound card that outputs to other audio zones
- one PVR350 that is lying around

Have also NVidia 6200 on AGP slot.

Anyone with idea what mobo to use for upgrade ?

Regards,

Bulek...
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

atreidae

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:01 pm »
I have just purchased this board for LMCE for the same reason, known compatiability lets not forget their dirt cheap..

I was thinking of just using a usb ether controler for the internet, as I doubt anything really needs to be that quick, the other idea I am currently toying with is using LMCE for DHCP only, ie no routing and use one of my dedicated routers (microtik, linksys wrt)

another reason I like the board is there is 2 onboard serial ports (requires header cables) for blasters etc.

very nice once i figured it all out

Of Worthy note, the instruction book for the m/b states you need to turn off high definition audio if your not using a "high def audio header" for the front audio connector, this is not true, disabling that option in the BIOS turns off the sound card and crashes the AV wizard.