Author Topic: Orbiter failed to initilialize opengl on VMWare Workstation 6  (Read 2464 times)

nowandever29

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Orbiter failed to initilialize opengl on VMWare Workstation 6
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:27:44 am »
Hi all,

I'm trying out LinuxMCE as a potential replacement for my Vista media center PC, which sucks for all the obvious reasons.   ::)  But after I install and the Linux MCE Launch Manager does its thing, I get the "Orbiter failed to initilialize opengl" error in an endless loop.

I selected UI2, because I figured that VMWare's default video driver wouldn't support UI3.  But I'm guessing that I need to start with UI1, and maybe stick with it.

My question is, what do I lose by doing this?  I read something about UI1 not overlaying graphics on any video...so does that mean that I won't see the normal onscreen controls when watching TV?

Also, an unrelated question, what format does LinuxMCE record into?  Is it compressed?

Thanks!

nivenj

• View Profile
Re: Orbiter failed to initilialize opengl on VMWare Workstation 6
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:15:56 pm »
Hi,

There is no opengl support in the vmware driver so your stuck with UI1 im afraid. You wont lose any functionality but the UI is very basic. You really need a native install of LMCE to fully appreciate its worth. If you still want to retain the ability to run windoze, you could always install the Linux version of vmware are run the windows version as a VM instead.