Author Topic: Is this possible - Mac related.  (Read 2675 times)

mightydave

• First post!
    • View Profile
Is this possible - Mac related.
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:04:47 pm »
I've just recently stumbled up LinuxMCE and I've loved everything I've seen so far.

I'm a technology hoarder so I have a bunch of pieces to this puzzle laying around that I think might get me to where I want to be.

I'd like on main machine where my ripped media exists, then one other auxiliary machine that streams that content.  On the main machine, I'd like to hook up my Tivo Series 3, and have that accessible to my aux machine. 

As my main machine. I'd like to use a Mac Pro that I've stopped using as my daily machine.  I've got over 1TB of storage on it so it meets that requirement.  It has DVI out - which would hook nicely into my Panasonic LCD.  However, how would I go about getting the Tivo hooked in?

My aux TV is a 32" LCD in the bedroom that has access to the network.  It has RGB and Component in so I think that'd be an easy setup.

I also have a PepperPad that I'd think would make a great remote - and is Linux based.  Anyone using a PP as their control solution?

Can anyone give me any advice on how the Tivo can play a roll in this?

Thanks in advance.

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: Is this possible - Mac related.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:05:15 pm »
I've just recently stumbled up LinuxMCE and I've loved everything I've seen so far.

I'm a technology hoarder so I have a bunch of pieces to this puzzle laying around that I think might get me to where I want to be.

I'd like on main machine where my ripped media exists, then one other auxiliary machine that streams that content.  On the main machine, I'd like to hook up my Tivo Series 3, and have that accessible to my aux machine. 

As my main machine. I'd like to use a Mac Pro that I've stopped using as my daily machine.  I've got over 1TB of storage on it so it meets that requirement.  It has DVI out - which would hook nicely into my Panasonic LCD.  However, how would I go about getting the Tivo hooked in?

My aux TV is a 32" LCD in the bedroom that has access to the network.  It has RGB and Component in so I think that'd be an easy setup.

I also have a PepperPad that I'd think would make a great remote - and is Linux based.  Anyone using a PP as their control solution?

Can anyone give me any advice on how the Tivo can play a roll in this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello mightydave...

A few suggestions for you endeavors...
1.  Your mac pro... is it intel based? (say yes).  if not, your out of luck with that machine (for now)

2.  LinuxMCE is designed to be dynamic.  it's a bit different than other apps like mythtv where you have a dedicated frontend, and a dedicated backend (or multiples of).
with LinuxMCE, you have a "backend" that basically operates as a traffic cop. all your "media directors" (notice their not called frontends) have the capability of CAPTURING and PLAYING media.  For example, you could have your bedroom "media director" capture a program and save it to your living room "media director", or your NAS..
You can play media in your bedroom that is located on the media director out in the living room... etc... central storage is not needed... (of course it doesn't hurt any)

ok, that out of the way, now to the tivo..

3.  How you hook in the Tivo depends on how you want to use it... Keep in mind, the Tivo is really the first generation PVR.. and your integrating it with a 5th generation linuxMCE..  You'll need some form of capture device to capture the output of the tivo.  (this can be connected to any media director)
alas, unless the tivo has firewire out or usb out, you'll most likely be stuck with composite out..

Hope that helps...

I have a PVR built into my satellite receiver that records HD.. alas, no way of getting it out of the PVR (in digital form).  as such, I haven't even bothered to connect it into my linuxMCE network...

Hope that helps...

The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.