Author Topic: Importing from existing MythTV setup  (Read 3212 times)

GalaxiaGuy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Importing from existing MythTV setup
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:58 pm »
Hi,

I'm a long time MythTV user who is planning on trying out LinuxMCE. I've been reading quite a bit about it but never acutally used it so I apologise if anything I say is way off...

How does LinuxMCE find out about the media in MythTV? Is it with a userjob that runs after something is recorded or something that just waits for new recordings (or something else entirely)? I was hoping to be able to just copy the recordings from my current Myth setup into it but it just occurred to me that that wouldn't work if it just detecting new recordings with a userjob.

I assume I could just copy the recordings into a folder and let LinuxMCE detect them but then I'd lose a load of metadata and Myth would no longer know what I already had for the sake of repeats.

Thanks,
Oliver

PS - I have to say this is one of the most promising pieces of software I've seen for a while and keep up the good work  :)

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Importing from existing MythTV setup
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:39:36 am »
Same here. I found a solution for this at http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5. Just back up your database and then restore only the few tables it lists under "Moving your data to new hardware". If your current MythTV install is a new version (this is likely, especially if you're a Gentoo user) then you'll have to modify the sql before it will restore. I had to remove the last column (and the values for it) from the record and recorded tables.

GalaxiaGuy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:05:13 pm »
So does that mean LinuxMCE finds all the recordings properly?

Thanks,
Oliver

chrisbirkinshaw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:34:36 pm »
You will need to move all the recordings to /home/public/data/videos/tv_shows_1 (or similar) for Linux MCE's mythtv install to find them. You will also need to change the host in the recordings table and the capturecard table:

update recorded set host="dcerouter" where host="old_machine_name";
update capturecard set host="dcerouter" where host="old_machine_name";

Chris

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 05:05:45 am »
Updating the hostname is only neccessary if you don't have masterbackend override set. Personally I prefer all videos to go to my large network storage drive, so I have that setting set. If you store all your videos on seperate computers, however, you will need update the hostname for all recorded records.