Author Topic: LinuxMCE not detecting my GF 8600GT GFX Card.  (Read 4701 times)

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE not detecting my GF 8600GT GFX Card.
« on: August 16, 2007, 07:55:54 pm »
How can I install it manually?

It is no using Vesa driver and it's not very pretty...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE not detecting my GF 8600GT GFX Card.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:47:09 pm »
You might want to have a look at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:43:52 am »
Thanks, tried followning the instructions for the 100.14.11 Nvidia driver and the driver gave an error that it could not find a compatible card. It also failed to kompile for this kernel... This was done on the core wich has a GF2MX GFX.

Should the install be done on each diskless MD instead?'

Since I am currently using what I have lying around, all my 4 diskless MD's have different harware...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:17:48 am »
There are 3 different versions of the nvidia drivers iirc, they all support different models, you probably need one of the other 2 that fits with the specific card in that machine.

And yes, you can do it on the Media Directors as well (in fact that's where the nvidia instructions came from).
-- Anonymous

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »
Well, now that I have tried this on all my diskless MD's, I can say that this is IMPOSSIBLE! Unless I get the correct password that is...

I used the DVD to install the Core, so the user/password is linuxmce/linuxmce and I can log in after pressing CTRL/ALT/F1. On the Core I can also write sudo -s and use the password linuxmce to get root access.... BUT THAT DOES NOT WORK ON ANY OF MY DISKLESS MD's!

Anyone know the password for root access on the MD's? Can I change it? HOW?

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:58:02 am »
I found a workaround :)

1) Start KDE on the MD, open a web browser and download the correct driver from Nvidia
2) Log in to the Core with ssh (from any PC) and typed sudo -s press enter
3) Then ssh to the media director and typed sudo -s press enter
4) Type telinit 1 and press enter. The ssh link to the media director got lost....
5) On the MD press CTRL/ALT/F1 and type sudo -s press enter and it does not ask for a password.
6) Installations of the nvidia driver was easy, just write sh <drivername> and follow the intstructions.

After a reboot I selected the audio/video wizard on the MD gui, and it restarted to a black screen (AV Wizard), I pressed 1 once on the keyboard, waited and the Wizard was visible, now UI2 w/alpha blending works great :) Now I just have to get 1366x768@66hz working for my display....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:18:09 am by cirion »

sveinh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:50:46 pm »
I found a workaround :)

1) Start KDE on the MD, open a web browser and download the correct driver from Nvidia
2) Log in to the Core with ssh (from any PC) and typed sudo -s press enter
3) Then ssh to the media director and typed sudo -s press enter
4) Type telinit 1 and press enter. The ssh link to the media director got lost....
5) On the MD press CTRL/ALT/F1 and type sudo -s press enter and it does not ask for a password.
6) Installations of the nvidia driver was easy, just write sh <drivername> and follow the intstructions.

After a reboot I selected the audio/video wizard on the MD gui, and it restarted to a black screen (AV Wizard), I pressed 1 once on the keyboard, waited and the Wizard was visible, now UI2 w/alpha blending works great :) Now I just have to get 1366x768@66hz working for my display....

This did not work for me. Anyone know how to be able to use sudo from a diskless md? I can log on using linuxmce/linuxmce, but it seems like I'm logged on as "sambahelper", and it's password is not know.

Anyone?

-s

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:58:59 pm »
Open a terminal window on the KDE desktop and enter "sudo telinit 1" there.
-- Anonymous