Author Topic: A handful of last minute questions  (Read 4044 times)

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
A handful of last minute questions
« on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:44 am »
Trying to put together my list of stuff I need finish building my core and getting my MD better video.
I have some last minute questions to clarify some things I am not 100% certain on.

Do I need a video card on my core if I am not running hybrid? (have a M2NPV-VM w/ integrated nvidia and dvi out)

If I connect to my hd motorola box via serial and set this box up correctly can this be viewed from another MD in the house? (ie. could I watch my hd FIOSTV box that is located downstairs on a md upstairs?)

I am looking for a half height AGP video card. I found a decent xfx 6200 on Amazon. I know it works with linux. Is there anything I should be checking to make sure it can do UI2 w/ alpha?
I know it can do the liinux eyecandy (compiz beryll). Its for a sff w/ a P4 and 2.4 1 gb ram 9200 Radeon PCI card.

Anyone have a cell trunk working in Asterisk? (want to be able to make long distance call via cell through Asterisk)

I have a lot of X-10 devices. I got the all out to figure out they won't work with my baby monitor in use.
Considering selling them and going with zwave. Is there a kit anyone recommends? I am just looking for a couple lamp modules, a couple dimmer switches, and a few motion sensors.

Looking at a Hauppauge 500 is there any difference in the type A or B cards? Should I seek out/pay more to get a Type A?

Regards,
Blair

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: A handful of last minute questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:51:43 am »
I have a lot of X-10 devices. I got the all out to figure out they won't work with my baby monitor in use.
Considering selling them and going with zwave. Is there a kit anyone recommends? I am just looking for a couple lamp modules, a couple dimmer switches, and a few motion sensors.

Why not just replace the baby monitor with a (security) cam?  That would beat finding out that it hinders other systems as well.  And with the right setup you can check it on your mobile, practicly anytime anywhere (not to encourage irresponsable behavior of course ;)).  You can use an ip camera or a plain old usb webcam hooked up to a media director.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:23:46 pm »
It's a wireless baby monitor (sound). Tried X10 just recently on a Gentoo pc running MISTERHOUSE. Pretty sure the monitor was causing problems.
I haven't tried it with LinuxMCE because I don't have a serial on my Asus motherboard. I can get a serial to usb adapter for cheap.

I am not crazy about cams in the house. (I have seen my fair share of network cam feeds that were never meant to be public through google.) if you are bored go here http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/01/09/security-webcam-hunting.html or here http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/11/27/hack-to-search-and-view-free-live-webcam-with-google-search/
I have all of my cams outside overlooking entrances. (slightly creepy feeling of someone possibly watching my kid sleep)

Trying to pace myself. I want to buy everything now. But I should be just getting the necessities and setting them up piece by piece.
My priority purchase list:
1st on my list is a 500gb sata (using a 250 pata I borrowed from another PC now.)
2nd is a Hauppauge 500 (using an old wintv card that I have had no luck in setting up)
3rd a better video card tor MD (couldn't get ui2 on mD) figured this upgrade would help)
4th USB-UIRT - need to communicate with FIOSTV box
5th Media remote/keyboard. (I have no idea which one to get. I just know I need one)
6th A cheap orbiter. I like the Nokia 770 (pro -$140 is in my price range con- not good at hacking hardware.)
     (any other cheap orbiters)
Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,
Blair

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 07:44:39 am »
The Asus board you have should work fine for HD UI2. Make sure you have a current BIOS on it -(0705 I think). And 1 G of RAM. There is a serial port on the MB, you need a cable to connect to it. They are pretty common and standardized. I used one from my junkbox.

I'm not sure how you will get the FIOS box output to the second display. You can capture SD output and send that via the system. HD is waiting on a suitable component capture card.

You can get ZWave starter kits from Intermatic. Check the Smarthome site for deals and search the web. They are all interchangeable to a degree and they all should work.

For the Cell trunk I'm using a cell phone with a Sip stack and WiFi in it and my VOIP provider. Instructions here: http://voxilla.com/voxilla-stories/voxilla-how-to-guides/using-the-nokia-e-series-phones-with-asterisk-865.html

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:51:57 pm »
The Asus board you have should work fine for HD UI2. Make sure you have a current BIOS on it -(0705 I think). And 1 G of RAM. There is a serial port on the MB, you need a cable to connect to it. They are pretty common and standardized. I used one from my junkbox.
Can't believe I didn't check that. Thank you.

I'm not sure how you will get the FIOS box output to the second display. You can capture SD output and send that via the system. HD is waiting on a suitable component capture card.
I watched the 704 Demo video and was confused by the cable box bit.
You can get ZWave starter kits from Intermatic. Check the Smarthome site for deals and search the web. They are all interchangeable to a degree and they all should work.
I have been looking at a purchasing a  starter kit. What is the CMA11 equivalent in Zwave?  is it the master controller? or would one of the usb interfaces work?

For the Cell trunk I'm using a cell phone with a Sip stack and WiFi in it and my VOIP provider. Instructions here: http://voxilla.com/voxilla-stories/voxilla-how-to-guides/using-the-nokia-e-series-phones-with-asterisk-865.html

That should be helpful. The e70 phone is sick**** wish my wireless company had this phone as an option. (VZ has horrible phones)

Best Regards,
Blair

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:15:12 am »
What is the CMA11 equivalent in Zwave?

There are two supported USB interfaces now- the Homepro ZCU000 and the Boca. Both are very hard to get. The Homepro is discontinued and the Boca has not been offered for sale although  you could call and bug them.
The Intermatic should be working but there is a driver problem with Linux that has not been sorted out. I would search for the Homepro and since you found the RS232 ports look for the RS232 version as well. It should be plug and play for all three.

You will need a "master" controller for inclusion. Any handheld controller will work. I would buy the Leviton since its by far the best available or the cheapest Intermatic as a fall back.