Author Topic: LinuxMCE = a Nightmare  (Read 14266 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE = a Nightmare
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 05:51:53 pm »
" I know better than you" mentality and if you you can´t make it work , then your are stupid !
um that just the zarec's attitude. he is a very helpful sod he just flames people for asking questions it's just a pity he is like one of the most active people on the forum. i'm sure if he spent his time being helpful and not RUDE this form would have more people participating

oh all power full delta_9 ... you could grant me one more wish -> stop being a loser

EDIT:

Let me rephrase that.  If you want to spend your time helping a person who clearly indicates that he is more interested in failing the installation to prove his point that Linux sucks, even before he has even actually downloaded the ISOs, then be my guest.  But by all means do feel free to leave me out of it.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 06:35:42 pm by Zaerc »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 02:26:45 am »
" I know better than you" mentality and if you you can´t make it work , then your are stupid !
um that just the zarec's attitude. he is a very helpful sod he just flames people for asking questions it's just a pity he is like one of the most active people on the forum. i'm sure if he spent his time being helpful and not RUDE this form would have more people participating

I don't think that is an accurate statement.
jsl61 posted flamebait and was treated accordingly. Act like a troll get treated like a troll.

If I was him I might have approached this different.
"My name is Jorgen. I am from <country of origin>. My English is not that great but I will do my best. I have stumbled across Linuxmce will roaming around the internet. I have had trouble with Linux projects in the past but I am willing to put in the effort to make it work. I have read/googled all the FAQ's and guides. I have a couple questions before I install. My Hardware is this -list 1. Motherboard 2. amount of ram 3. Vid card 4 anything else that might involve the install capture cards X-10 etc...I have read through the forum here and Mythtv and it looks like everything I have is supported. Are there any pitfalls i should be aware of? I am a little confused by the install process which ISO's do I need to install? Which ISO do I install first? I have read that I should not update when I first install Kubuntu 7.04 whats that mean? I appreciate any help you guys can lend. I find this a very interesting project and would like to give back if I can.

Thank you.
Jorgen"

xaerc has been one of the more helpful people I have encountered here.

I think jsl61 Redmond employee with too much time on his hands. Still fuming that Dell is offering a linux option on ther pcs. :)

My .02 
Blair
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:09:30 am by DeadPenguin »

driveshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 09:02:08 pm »
I'm not reading all the posts about linux/windows.  I am purely making this post based on the topic.  I agree 139% that LinuxMCE = Nightmare.  I don't care if your a freaking astrophysicist......your still going to have nightmares about installing LinuxMCE. 

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 11:26:03 pm »
I'm not reading all the posts about linux/windows.  I am purely making this post based on the topic.  I agree 139% that LinuxMCE = Nightmare.  I don't care if your a freaking astrophysicist......your still going to have nightmares about installing LinuxMCE. 

You have spent exactly 2 posts on this forum giving some vague rant of your problems in which you clearly state that you have no idea what you're messing with while leaving out just about all the trivial details like what you actually did or why things didn't go the way they were supposed to.  And now also 3 posts bitching about how clueless you really are.

I'm not sure who you think you're fooling here, but to me this is getting funnier every time. NEXT!
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 02:57:35 pm »
Ok, I thought that they had finally created a version of linux that would be easy to install... HAHAHAHAHA wow... lol

Anyway... So LinuxMCE doesnt detect any of my media, anywhere on my network. It has abouta dozen buttons that I dont need and can't seem to get rid of (Lighting, security, Telecom, etc...) and every time I try to change the config of the thing it breaks the orbiter and I have to go through the hour long install all over again. It didn't detect my joysticks, my windows remotes, and it likes to jump from analog to DVI output randomly during setup so I have to have 2 monitors plugged in just to keep up.

How, on earth, are you guys using this at all? It just seems hopelessly broken to me.

I'd like suggestion to use Windows. This is a user-friendly OS and it doesn't need some admin knowledge from you. If you want to use LinuxMCE, please, read at least some base Linux and LinuxMCE documentation. If you still have some troubles - ask in forum but without unnecessary stuff like "Nightmare" and so on. Nobody push you use LinuxMCE. Moreover,  it's completely free and there are many people who can help you. But, please, be more polite  when you ask about help.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

Jinster

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 09:44:12 pm »
jsl61, did you say you installed Ubuntu or Kubuntu? You need Kubuntu 7.04 to go with LinuxMCE 0704. This could be the cause of your problems.

Having said that, I have given Linux 3 good goes myself. The first two times with RedHat when it was all the rage. And now with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I totally agree that Linux installation is a complete nightmare in terms of it detecting all the right hardware. But the fact is that LinuxMCE is a good piece of software in terms of the functions it offers and it make just be worth the effort (or not) to keep trying.

P.S: I haven't succeeded in my install yet - it's been a week, many many hours spent, many reinstalls. I am still trying. I have an Asus P5W motherboard and Kubuntu won't even detect all my hard drives properly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:45:58 pm by Jinster »