Author Topic: Network problem thats new, at least I couldn't find it  (Read 3253 times)

rfisher1968

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Network problem thats new, at least I couldn't find it
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:51:47 pm »
I got a existing setup in my house where I got a Linksys WRT54GS router setup as a DHCP server and connects all my devices to the internet. I put a different firmware on the linksys that provides alot of functionality that I like and will not replace or change.

Now comes my problem. I setup a Linuxmce computer and everything installed fine but it wants to setup a internal network when the external nic is connected to my real internal network. Can I make the internal subnet be the same as my external subnet? Can I not have a internal network on linuxmce and run everything from the external network?

I'm willing to turn off the DHCP server on my Linksys router but it need to be on the same subnet which in this case its not.

Here is and example:

internet -> cable modem -> ( internet ip) Linksys Router -> ( Internal ip with DHCP server 10.10.9.1 ) all my devices

linuxmce is hooked up to my internal network above and gets the ip 10.10.9.2, the the internal network inside linuxmce gets the ip 192.168.80.1 which doesn't work for me because all my storage of media is on a NAS which has a ip of 10.10.9.3. I tried to change it to a ip on the same subnet and it keeps changing back to 192.168.80.1

did i do something wrong?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Network problem thats new, at least I couldn't find it
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:41:53 am »
The recommended way is to connect all the devices that you want to use with linuxMCE to the interface with the 192.168.80.0 subnet and let the DHCP of linuxMCE controll that subnet.  Alternative configurations are possible but require additional work.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:05:03 am »
First, disable any other DHCP servers you have on your network.
then, go into the administration site and select network from the advanced menu.

from there, enable LMCE as the DHCP server and set your ip ranges for lmce devices and non-devices.
if you are using LMCE as a gateway, set up you external IP (internet side) according to your connections type (static, dyanmic/pppoe). Then, give your core (lmce) a static internal address (192.168.1.1 or 10.10.9.1 as an example). Make sure your static IP does not fall within the DHCP range.

I reserve my first 20 ip addresses for static assignment to give to my switches, routers, and servers. my dhcp range starts at 192.168.1.11 - 100 for lmce devices and 192.168.1.101 - 254 for non-lmce devices.

rfisher1968

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:58 pm »
Well i guess i didn't define my current home network like i should have. I run a DNS server, Web Server, Email Server, and SSH server on a machine thats on my internal network ( 10.10.9.xxx ). I use the Linksys WRT54GS for the firewall, portforwarding, and wireless access. Currently i port forward the following ports to my server machine, ( 22, 25, 53, 80, 110, 443 ). I have 2 Dlink DSM-520 wireless media players that connect to the WRT54GS. I also have 4 other computers that connect to the network either wired or wireless.

I don't want to change my whole setup to use LinuxMCE. Why should I have to? All I want to do is connect it to my EXISTING network and be able to access my NAS devices. Is there instructions on how to do this?

I already have a WORKING MythDora machine, but liked the look and feel of LinuxMCE. MythDora was easy, assign it a IP on my existing subnet and mount my NAS devices and it worked.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:04:38 pm by rfisher1968 »